The Continuation of the Super Saga of Creation... This time, it's Epic

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Continuation of the Super Saga of Creation... This time, it's Epic

Post by The Highlander on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:55 pm

Thör-Axe sat clutching his seat in the drop shuttle watching the pilot steer the ship and cringe with pain. He had a bunch of wires and strange things hooked up to him. The pilot had explained it all to Azrael but Thör-Axe had trouble grasping all of the information. Besides, He
was trying to focus on the mission and calm his nerves. It was times like these when Thör-Axe was most grateful that no one could see the fear in his eyes that were covered by thick black hair. The Ship was rocked by a hit and Thör-Axe tightened on the Axe’s neck. The cool electric strings were soothing and he soon found himself noodling around on his guitar-esque weapon.
Azrael’s voice pierced through the music.
“Shield yourself!”
Thör-Axe leapt out of his seat swinging his blade forming a blue protective bubble-like shield as the ship disintegrated before his eyes.
“Eh, that could be a problem,” he thought to himself as plummeted toward the planet below. Thör-Axe thrust the guitar downward. Instantly what appeared to be a music staff jetted out of the headstock and planted into the ground, slowing his fall but still keeping him enough speed for some entertainment. The fall slowed enough in the last few meters for him to land softly as if stepping off a curb. Thör-Axe looked
around. He was apparently behind some important looking building. Peering around the corner he noticed two officers standing around having a smoke and chatting.
“So this is the Overlord’s Fine task force,” Thör-Axe mused. He looked down at his own clothes; ragged leather pants and jacket, boots and miscellaneous chains and accessories. “I should probably try to look more the part.”
He slipped back around the corner and picked up his guitar. Always aware of the situation, it had changed appearance to look like a simple
acoustic. As soon it was picked up it disguised Thör-Axe to look like a cloaked peasant playing for tips on some street corner. He sat down and began playing an enchanted melody that caught the officers’ ears. They wandered dimly around the corner to find the source of the beautiful tune.
“Hello boys,” Thör-Axe said slyly, “Give Satan my salutations.”
As soon as he said this, the charm lifted and the last thing the officers saw was the glint of a blade as it swung for their necks.
A lone officer strode coolly through the corridors of the large building. He kept his head down slightly keeping his eyes in the shadow of his hat’s brim. He stopped at a security door and swiped his passkey.
They sure made this easy Thör-Axe thought as he stepped through the door and into a large office. This dude had it pretty nice.
As Thör-Axe stepped behind the officer’s desk something caught his eye. A picture frame. But not one Thör-Axe was used to. The images
were moving, displaying the pleasant memories from some vacation past. The officer and his family were laughing and smiling and seemed to be having a fun time. Memories flashed in Thör-Axe’s head and he slammed the frame down on the desk hiding the images.
“Alright, let’s see what we got here…” A few clicks later, Thör-Axe was in the database. After browsing through countless files and documents, he found something that looked useful- [Orbital scans of troops] Hmm...
He found an empty holocron and proceeded to download the information onto it. As he sat he glanced back at the frame laying on the desk. The memories flashed again
~~~~~~+~~~~~+
Taime Lyxx was walking onto the stage.
The lights burned like the sun.
~~
The crowd.
~~
The nerves.
~~
The guitar felt heavier for some reason.
~~
Something didn’t feel right.
~~
Oh well.
~~
On with the show.
~~
The roaring crowd.
~~
The lights.
~~
The smoke.
~~
Smoke??
~~
There wasn’t supposed to be smoke!
~~
The explosion.
~~
Screaming.
~~
Chaos.
~~
Confusion.
~~
The mocking.
~~
The jeering.
~~
Why won’t they leave me alone?!
~~
Anger.
~~
Rage.
~~
No longer am I Taime Lyxx!
~~
I

AM

THÖR-AXE!!!
~~
The memories flashed with increasing intensity. How much longer? I can’t take it! STOP!
~~~+~~
Thör-Axe sat staring at the computer. It was done downloading.
“Bout bloody time” he grumbled as he pocketed the holocron. As soon as he said this the door burst open. There were several soldiers and a higher ranking officer,
“There he is! Shoot him!” Thör-Axe dropped to the ground barely dodging a shot aimed at his head. He whipped out the Axe from his pocket where it was conveniently reduced in size. Instantly it expanded to its normal size. He leapt over the desk casting a protective shield over him. He landed running at his attackers swing the guitar by the neck slicing blasters and bodies and anything else that got in the way.
The scuffle was over in a matter of seconds. Figuring it was pointless to keep on wearing the officer’s uniform, Thör-Axe quickly ripped
them off revealing his normal attire. He looked around at the bodies, noticing their armor.
“That looks pretty cool.” A few minutes later had a few extra pieces added to his wardrobe-A shoulder pad, a small piece of chest armor, and some new boots. Dressed to kill, Thör-Axe, slung the Axe over his shoulder and strolled down the hall running his hand along the strings letting zaps of lightning fly out. He started noodling around yet again and grinned. His noise drew out the guards and he laughed as he imitated his favorite guitarists from the music videos, striking poses and shooting bolts of lighting out sending soldiers flying.
“He’s! Got! Looks! That Kill!” Thör-Axe started singing as he sliced a random soldier in half. He soon found that he had gone the wrong way and was in a giant hangar bay. There was the door at the end of the bay past several large shuttles. His pace increased along with the tempo of his solo. Soon he was at a sprint nearing the door. Time to climb. He began an ascending run aiming to reach the highest note on the fretboard. He let the note ring out piercing ears within the vicinity. Securing his grip on the neck Thör-Axe, leapt into the air and spun to create more momentum. His spin seemed slow down as the blade neared the behemoth door. The blade tapped it. Instantly it exploded, shattering into pieces that went flying crashing into nearby hangars and buildings. Thör-Axe struck final chord for emphasis.
Eh, slightly out of tune He thought.
“Thör-Axe!”A familiar voice rang out. Thör-Axe turned to see Azrael running in his direction clearing a path toward him.
“Thank the fates! Where have you been?”
“Here and there.” Thör-Axe replied, “I downloaded orbital scans for the troops here. Now let’s blow this craptacular planet.”
The pair ran inside the hanger.
"I understand that sentiment. Can you fly one of these things?"
"No problem,"
Thör-Axe looked around deciding which shuttle to take. A sleek black one caught his eye. He grinned,
“I like that one,” he said pointing. “It looks fast.”
They boarded the ship and entered the cockpit. The navigational display lit up. Thör-Axe looked around trying to figure out how to use it.
“Can you do it?” asked Azrael.
“Yeah,” Thör-Axe lied, “Piece of cake.” He hit a few buttons and engaged the hand controls. The engine roared to life.
"Got it," slowly Thör-Axe guided the ship to face the opening where the door used to be. Feeling a surge of confidence he gunned the accelerator and the ship sped out of the hangar barely missing the door and probably some soldier or guard or officer who was shown on the scanners being in that general area.

As the ship neared earth Azrael entered the coordinates for the Highlands. Instantly the shuttle shook and they were entering the atmosphere above the temple.
“Eh, You might wanna hold on to something,” Thör-Axe said, “ I’m not sure how to land this thing.”
“Well then aim for somewhere else other than the temple!” Azrael shouted as the ship seemed to be gaining speed and headed right toward the towering stone structure peaking out above the trees. Thör-Axe frantically hit random buttons on the controls.
The shuttle changed its course but didn’t slow down.
The shuttle crashed into the earth. The smoke cleared and Thör-Axe and Azrael stood in the crater left by their shuttle, unharmed thanks to
Azrael’s protective spell.
Thör-Axe looked around trying not to laugh as the realization of what happened hit him. He could sense eyes on him. He turned to see the rest of the group staring in shock at them. The silence seemed to last forever. Finally he decided to break the tension.
“We’re back!”

_

Last edited by The Highlander on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Highlander

Back to top Go down

On the temple steps, Thör-Axe, Sebastienne, and Azrael sat, laughing and talking about their respective pasts, families, missions, and anything else which happened to come up. Dingo was no where to be seen, as usual in daylight hours, and Revan was somewhere about the woods, a place he often went when frustrated or thoughtful. And now he was rather thoughtful about how exactly to help the RFW spacestation under attack. The Highlander had assured him he would get him all pertinent information, when Bernard came back, directly after sunset. So, he had gone off into the woods to await the night, while the Highlander turned himself to the task of rejuvenating the damaged earth and plants hurt by Thör-Axe and Azrael's rather unorthodox landing. After the ship had been moved, they found it had an extensive computer system on-board, so had decided to keep it close as a data-storage area, as well as to provide an emergency exit should the need arise. It was, however, no longer by the temple, having been moved to a clearing a bit farther off, and hidden. Now, the
Highlander set about healing the scarred and disfigured earth and trees, something he enjoyed doing greatly. It gave him peace of mind to heal instead of hurt, something he rarely had the chance to do in his work as Balancer. Summoning his power, his hands glowing with a soft golden radiance, he went to each disfigured tree and ripped patch of earth, exerting a small bit of energy to heal whatever he touched. In the half hour it took the sun to reach the horizon, it was finished. Remembering something, he quickly entered the temple, exiting again just as Revan entered the newly-healed area. The sun was just setting.
With a quick jump down the temple stairs, the Highlander nodded in answer to Revan's unasked question, gesturing to the side at the very moment Bernard appeared in a suffusion of blue, to take them to the ships they would use. Dingo swooped in at the same time, and began to talk with Bernard, giving The Highlander and Revan a few moments.
"Where is this station exactly?” Revan queried the Highlander, while Bernard talked to Dingo.
“It’s actually fairly close by. It’s orbiting the one other planet we hold in this system: Pluto. If they take that station, they take our nearest manufacturing and R&D facilities."
“I see."
"Here," the Highlander said, bringing about a bag he held in one hand, handing it to Revan. "Those are the specifications for the ships of the fleet, to the best of Bernard's knowledge."
Revan looked in the bag, idley flipping through the folder of blueprints and technical sheets.
"Alright. How long do I have to look over these?"
"It's 24 hours to get there, in the ship we're taking," Bernard said, coming over to join the pair, Dingo trailing behind.
"Plenty of time then," Revan said, putting the folder back in the bag.
"What's this?" he asked, pulling a thick, leather-bound book out.
The Highlander smiled lightly, "A book of spells. You may want to learn a few, just in case." His smile vanished, and his voice dropped to a quieter tone.
"The Enemy is very clever and resourceful. Don't let him deceive or outmaneuver you."
"I've had my fair share of clever enemies in the past," He replied, with just a moments hesitation.
"Even so, it never hurts to have a few aces in the whole, neh?" The Highlander countered, with a wink. But his expression almost immediately sobered, as he turned to address Bernard,
"Admiral, try to have them back within three days time, alright? I have a feeling that things are coming to a head."
"I'll do my best, old son," Bernard replied, turning and gesturing for Dingo and Revan to follow,
"Come on then, taxi's waiting." And in a blue haze, they disappeared.
The Highlander turned to re-enter the temple, the worry he had been hiding becoming more visible on his face. Things were coming to a head, and he hoped Revan and the vampire would return in time.

Last edited by The Highlander on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Highlander

Back to top Go down

I love me a good BOOM!”
The space in front of the Abysmal lit up in a shower of flames. David readjusted his Y vector so that he would be 'flying' to intercept the next squadron of enemy Tie Fighters.
“Don’t get distracted AK,” David cautioned his sadistic anti-hero of an AI, “I need you to distribute the necessary power for the hyper--velocity particle sniper rifle. I’ll need 10 shots ready in 5 seconds,” David moved his HiMAT (High Mobility Aerial Tactics) controller forward, flipping the Abysmal 45 degrees vertically while simultaneously lifting the rifle to fire at the unfortunate pilots that now sprang in front of his view. As he let his SHADOW take him over he screamed: “This is for her!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After David and Dingo had been transported from the crisp and green Highlands. They had met the commander of the fleet sent to relieve the spacestation under attack by Evil forces. She was a Red Healer named Molly and looked extremely relieved to see them. She told them that they were aboard the RFW Absolute the “Flag ship and pride of the 4th fleet”. In reality it wasn’t much of a fleet by David’s opinion.
“12 ships sounds more like a patrol than a full serviced battle fleet,” He had said to AK. AK had characteristically responded. “Sounds more like a small and frail to target to me."
“Our fleets are 156 ships at least for operational status and that’s only small defensive force”
"Oh please master, 156 ships are such a small, a trivialmatter for me.”
David sighed “Not everyone is like you.”
“Why the notion that another machine would compare to me in any way makes my circuits buzz with the anticipation of wiping out every last trace of their offensive blasphemy!"
The common question of "Why haven't I defraged him yet" popped once again into David's mind.
David pulled the trigger. A long, relatively thin beam sprang from his rifle, rushing forward to meet the lead Tie-Fighter.
“The quickest way to slay a beast, is to chop off its head.”
The Fighter came into contact with the dark blue beam and exploded. The rest of the fighters loosely got out of formation.
“Your mistake,” David grumbled. He fired five more shots, all of them hitting their respective marks. The remaining six “Eyeballs” finally regrouped and spotted the Abysmal, flying their ships on an intercept course.
David laughed.
“Is this the best these pilots can do?”
He slung the rifle to the back of the Abysmal and activated his both of his beam sabers while AK spun them around in a defensive measure to dodge any laser bolt that happened to actually have a chance of hitting them. In less then three seconds the Abysmal crossed in front of what was left of the Tie squadron. David swung the beams in front of the enemy formation. Slicing through silicon, Durasteel, and flesh, obliterating all of it in a line of plasma. David could hear their screams in his cockpit even though there wasn’t anyway that he could hear them. He heard the explosions from the fighters, though that was AK’s doing. AK thought that it would make the battles more interesting and 'real' if there were sounds that accompanied explosions and such so he created a subroutine that controlled that exact function.
“You will all die! Anyone who sees me has got a date with his maker!”proclaimed AK.
“Our mission is to protect a military/manufacturing space station in orbit around Pluto,” Molly had stated, while pressing a button on the command center for the RFW Absolute. The lights immediately dimmed and a holographic display popped above the table that David, Dingo, and the officers of the fleet were gathered around.
“It can’t be true,” David had muttered, “There’s no way that there is a station there.”
The hologram went from a picture of the Solar system to Pluto itself showing what seemed to be live streaming footage of the space station. The space above the table began to be filled with dots. The officers started to mumble to themselves, and understandably. The void above the table was filled with shapes.
“The enemy has their 16th fleet maneuvered around the station, trying to spread and dissolve the effectiveness of the defense forces,”
continued Molly trying to not let the nervousness in the air get to her, “By what we have been able to determine the enemy has brought one hundred and fifty-nine operational ships ranging from Capital to Gunship class. This ,of course, does not include the many smaller fighters and other auxiliary crafts that accompany them.
“One hundred and fifty-six” David had interrupted.
Flustered, Molly had replied, "I'm...I'm sorry?"
“There are one hundred and fifty-six standard ships and seven hundred and eighty auxiliary crafts.”
“How would you know that?”
“I counted.”
“Abysmal-Absolute, Our center needs to clear two Imperial class Star Destroyers before we can break through the blockade and clear the docks for reinforcements," chattered David’s comm. link. "We need you to bring your," the young communications officer on the other side paused, "fighter to distract them."
“Roger that” David replied “we’ll take them out.”
“You’ll what?” The Officer stammered, wondering if he had heard the answer correctly.
Before the officer could reply further David switched off the channel and finished of yet another slaughter of Ties. He deactivated his beam sabers, sheathed them, took our his rifle, and flipped the Wanzer on a sixty-five degree angle on the Z vector and sped off toward the center-front of the battle, destroying whatever fools dared try to divert his path.
“AK!” yelled David over another explosion, “Get the DRAGOONS ready!”
“Yes master,” the AI replied. After a moment he added, “and now the fun starts.”
The SD’s started to come into visual range and David had everything were he wanted it. He opened his mind to the surrounding, making his body as alien to him as another’s. He searched for the SD’s without his visual instruments and found them as a mass of electrical signals made up by the ships equipment, as well as the beings that controlled the craft.
He released the DRAGOONS, maneuvering all eight of them to the shatter points of the SD’s shield while simultaneously firing at the bridge with his rifle.
Now...Now the curtain has risen! And it is time for the actors to show their talent! David thought as he started to pound their
shields away, joule by joule.

_

Last edited by The Highlander on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Highlander

Back to top Go down

“Aaaaand….Fifty!” Dingo yelled as he slew a soldier with a mighty swing of his batblade. He stood in a hall littered with bodies within one of the enemy frigates. He had decided to keep track of his kills ever since he had boarded the ship and had already killed fifty men; but now he stood alone with nothing but the many dead and the silence of space to keep him company.
“Hmmmmm, why so few men? I hope I didn’t scare them off. That would be entirely too boring.”

Turning, Dingo slipped into the shadows along the wall and began moving towards what he believed to be the Bridge. The faint sounds of battle could faintly be heard outside and for a moment Dingo wondered if Hadron was doing well.
“I hope he lives,” thought Dingo aloud, “I really like that little robot of his.”
As Dingo neared a corner he began to experience a strange sensation. Every hair on his head began to stand out on end and he smelled ozone. As he unsheathed his weapons he could fell them pulling towards the hall to his right. Dingo then turned the corner, and was perplexed to find the source of the strange feeling. It was a man. Heavily armored and carrying a weapon close to a short rifle or laser-cannon that seemed to fit perfectly to his whole arm. His armor was something Dingo had never seen before. It looked to be made of some type of steel but it moved, not like any fabric, but like a living thing. His arms where segmented in a way that reminded Dingo of a lobster and his legs seemed to have circular things running along the outside of each leg. His helmet resembled that of some of the pilots he had seen in the frigate but it was made of the same metal as the rest of him with a strip of black for the eye visor. There was a very faint bluish
tinted shimmer all along his body.
“A shield huh? Well, I know how to take care of that.”
Before the Armored man had time to do anything Dingo brought up his Batblade and swung down, hard, releasing the energy stored within to produce a massive energy wave that engulfed his enemy.
“Fifty-one” Said Dingo smugly. Confident of his kill, Dingo strode toward the smoking wreck where the soldier once stood. However as he came close a canister shot out from somewhere spewing a pink gas, both obscuring his sight as well as irritating his eyes.
“Ah! What gives?! Fight fair!” Suddenly, quick as lightning, an armored hand shot forth and grabbed Dingo by the throat, then pinned him against a nearby window. Normally, being a vampire, Dingo wouldn’t have to worry about choking or any other loss of air but the soldier wasn’t trying to choke him. He was squeezing and pushing, trying to crush his neck; to actually rip his head off.
Dingo began to slash at him furiously with his Batblade but it didn’t leave a scratch on the strange Material. Quickly he pulled out his knife and tried to jam it into the lobster armor arms but Dingo couldn’t find any kind of gap in the armor. Failing that, he attempted to stab at the mans visor but the knife bounced off without leaving any marks on the smooth black strip. The Soldier had not even flinched throughout all of this and instead just squeezed harder.
“Oh HELL NO!!” roared Dingo with bestial rage. With a burst of Inspiration, he thrust his Batblade into the window behind him, the explosive decompression blowing apart the whole half of the ship.
As Dingo and The Soldier were sucked out of the now mortally crippled frigate, Dingo swung with all his might at his captors arm. Though failing to finally pierce the seemingly invulnerable armor like he would have wished, He did manage to force The Soldier to release his grip. Seizing the moment, Dingo began to slash savagely at his enemy. As the two hurtled through space propelled by the explosion, with ships all around them fighting and dieing, Dingo saw the base ship for the enemy fleet. Making a mental note of where it was, he quickly returned to his enemy just in time to bat away The Soldiers rifle,laser-cannon... thing right as he leveled it at Dingo’s head. The Soldier then punched Dingo hard enough to break boulders and stun him. Taking advantage of his temporary advantage, The Soldier attempted to shoot him again ,but Dingo recovered quickly and, changing strategies, high kicked the gun upwards with one leg , kicking The Soldier off into space with the
other. As The Soldier drifted out to space Dingo began to wonder if that was the last of his strange enemy. As if in answering to his private thoughts, The Soldier brought up his gun and fired what looked like a grenade at him.
BOOM! Yup, definitely a grenade thought Dingo as he was flung backwards towards a Star Destroyer. His last thoughts before he hit the ship was of how much he was glad his fight with that beast of a man was over.

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+

Echoes of shouting sound all around Dingo as he runs down the halls of the Star Destroyer. Seeing as how ships as big as this one aren’t usually expecting any visitors like him, he didn’t have any easy way of getting in. Luckily he had an immensely powerful sword and a very
creative mind; but the entire ship couldn’t help but become aware of his presence the minute a hole very suddenly and very violently appeared on the side of the ship. As Dingo turned yet another corner on the blasted ship he ran into more guards. As they raised their weapons in alarm, again, and began shooting at Dingo.
AGAIN?! He quickly lost his patience and with a bellow of frustration laid waste to them with but one blast from his mighty blade.
“When will these useless peons end?! I need some more excitement!” Dingo exclaimed as he rounded probably the hundredth corner that day, but standing in front of him was not another mindless rabble of sheep with guns but instead an important looking door guarded by seven warriors all dressed in blue cloaks and sporting stun baton staves.
"Oh ... this is more like it!” said Dingo with a grin. The lead guard began to walk forwards, weapon at the ready, and spoke:
“Halt foul beast! You shall desecrate these halls no more--"
“Oh yes and there are so many of you...”
“-We, as the righteous hammer of justice: the Holy Order of Loucetios, shall destroy y-"
With a quick flip of his wrist, Dingo flung his knife across the room to finally embed itself in the lead acolyte’s chest. In an instant the remaining warriors were charging Dingo and he, with murder in his eyes and laughter in his voice, roared in defiance and ran to meet them.
The first one to approach came at him quickly, swinging at him ferociously but without any really skill or speed so it was far too easy blocking his strokes. So easy in fact that Dingo once again lost his , admittedly thin, patience. As the foolish mortal swung at him again, Dingo dropped his batblade, grabbed his foes staff mid swing unyielding to the volts of electricity surging into him, yanked it out of his hands, and then snatched him by his cloak and slammed him upward against the ceiling, killing him instantly.
The next two to attack him however were probably veterans and far more skilled; they both circled around Dingo and took turns attacking him while the rest caught up. Dingo had forgotten that, in his rage, he had dropped his sword and so he now had only a stun baton staff. In favor of more pleasant killing, Dingo decided to improvise.
“Oh demons abroad, hear my call! Come and do your masters bidding!!!!”
Immediately after these words, with a flash of light, both of his current assailants were beset by undead raccoons. As Dingo laughed at the
sight of the “Hammers of Justice” being devoured by rotten heaps of living rodent bones, the remaining three finally caught up. In his over confidence at having higher numbers and anger at watching his comrades being slaughtered, or maybe just out of plain stupidity, one of the warriors abandoned all form and rushed him with his staff high above his head ready to crush Dingo’s head. With barely any thought or effort, Dingo then hurled his staff through the man’s chest. With a spurt of blood and a spluttering sound from the hapless crusader, the man fell dead.
Having finished their respective meals, Dingo’s minions promptly faded away leaving only silence as the Vampire studied his remaining enemies. After a few seconds the two men looked at each other and nodded. One of them pulled out a small round object and, upon pressing a button, disappeared in a blue haze. The last one pulled out one to do the same but before he could press the button, Dingo darted forward crushed the devise, lifting him into the air by the throat.
“N-No. P-P-Please!” choked the man.
“Sorry pal. I really need a pick-me-up,” And then viciously tore into the man’s neck.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+
As Dingo sat in the now empty Commander’s seat among the many slaughtered remains of the crew aboard the bridge, he considered his options. He could begin firing all the ship’s guns at the rest of the fleet but the initial shock of betrayal would soon ware of and he’d be shot
down. He could just take the ship back to the RFW to use it later but that’s no fun. He could just take it and run but that’s even less fun. He could be wasteful and just blow it up but he was getting very tired of having to fall onto every ship that comes by in order to get anything done.
Sitting there pondering what to do, he thought of the Base ship he had seen earlier. He thought of how big it was, how slow it was, and how important it was. Finally with an enormous sigh Dingo got up and walked over to the navigational equipment.
“Ah screw it lets just ram this hunk of junk into the darn thing.”
Slowly,a smile began to form on Dingo’s lips.

Last edited by The Highlander on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by The Highlander on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:56 pm

The Abysmal stood on what was left of a smoldering Star Destroyer. While David swung the abysmal around he started to fill up with rage that was being magnified by his massive amounts of SHADOW.
“How dare you attack my Empire!”
He moved all his DRAGOONS to fire at the now struggling Star Destroyer that was not blowing up in a shower of flames around the Abysmal.
“How dare you attack my worlds!”
He kicked the thrusters into overdrive, pulled out his beam saber and sped toward the last SD. The commander of this fortunate, but soon to be very unfortunate, vessel started to roll the SD so that it could deliver a full broadside at the incoming vessel.
They never stood a chance.
The SD got into position just in time, firing over half its batteries at the Abysmal. David swung the Wanzer in a seemingly random pattern dodging every shot, and in five seconds made it within contact range of the ship.
“How dare you attack humanity!”
David flew low over the hull of the mile long ship cutting up turrets, launchers, and tractor stations along his way to the bridge.
“How dare you attack everything I love!”
The Wanzer shoved one of the beam sabers into the 'neck' of the SD and moved its way up towards the bridge. David synced his DRAGOON’s to coordinate then to attack the main hanger on the underside of the ship, effectively destroying whatever craft the crew could use to escape to doomed ship. He pulled the beam saber out just before it would’ve hit the bridge. David stopped in front and opened himself to his surroundings seeing the fear in the officers eyes, the catching of their breath, and the panic in their hearts.
Humanity at its purest form.
“How dare you attack HER!”
David swung his swords in an arc through the bridge, effectively cutting it in two. The DRAGOON’s at this time also hitting the reactor in the center of the SD causing a overload reaction, effectively boiling what ever was left alive in it dark hallways and breaking the ship apart.
The vacuum of space consuming it all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David had felt vibrantly alive as he started walking to get into the cockpit of the Abysmal.
“The power to kill,” He had thought “is more godlike than human.”
There were so many different ships in the hanger that David was amazed at the creativeness of the many different life forms that were next to him. He had never given any serious thought to the question 'what if there are others like us' and the other questions that naturally follow with such a thought.
“If we ever find them out there someday,” he remembered thinking, “I hope I’ll still be around to see which one we found first.”
He found the Abysmal on the far side of the hanger and reached out with his conscience to connect with the OS. He immediately felt on urge to destroy organics, specifically these 'Specialist Mechanics' that could 'Fix' this machine.
“Overt,” He muttered and started to walk faster for the benefit of whatever beings decided to challenge the word of his deadly machine.
The Abysmal was doing what it was made to do: kill with the greatest efficiency possible. And it proved once again that it excelled in this area, destroying yet another squadron of Ties.
“Master, yet another enemy capital ship has begun to drift off with no logical direction,” Reported AK.
“Good that makes five total,” David said with approval, “He should be close to their flagship soon.”
Right after he said this, the UI system picked up and magnified the images of a SD charging at full speed into the flagship of the enemy’s
fleet. David couldn’t believe what he was seeing.
“What the hell is going on?” He muttered
“Hello!?” screamed a voice on the comm system “Hello!?!? Why isn’t this cursed thing working?!” The voice trailed off into muffled cursing.
“Dingo” David replied “Where the hell are you?”
“Look at my amazing work I’m right around there.”
“Rodger that. We’ll pick you up just don’t expect a comfy ride,” David replied, then shut of the line
“That was good work,” AK commented ,“Very classy, I’m surprised I didn’t think of it before.”
David sighed.
The space around Pluto was filled with debris and derelict ships.
If you could fix even eleven percent of the salvageable wreckage you could get a small operational fleet David thought to himself. The enemy fleet had retreated after the Dingo’s actions resulted in the entire loss of the enemies command structure.
“It was idiotic of them to have all of their commanders on one ship,” David commented, to no one in particular.
“Abysmal-Absolute, Great job!” chattered David’s comm. link. “You can dock on the station now that we’ve repulsed the boarding parties and cleared the hanger."
“Rodger that,” David absentmindedly.
“Who is this Rodger that everyone is talking about?” asked Dingo
David couldn’t help but laugh.
The Abysmal was heading into the hanger when its comm chattered to life again with a voice David had not heard ever since his last battle.
“Hello David. How’s the Empire doing?”
David’s heart stopped.
It can't be.
Then David saw the other Wanzer. One that he recognized as the Vestige.
The comm. screen in the Abysmal sparkled to life and showed a man with flowing blond hair and with blue eyes that had the look of a very experienced and old man, and yet he was only in his mid-thirties.
It was Julius.
“You’re probably wondering how I’m still alive,” He continued “Well after you impaled my Wanzer, this one, and the Charged Particle Cannon fired at Earth, destroying your Wanzer and mine, like you I did not die. I was transported here by the Evil Overlord. He claimed that I owed my life to him. Initially, Ilaughed in his face. But he soon showed me his military might. He said that he would destroy the pathetic empire
that I had createdn and the human race if I didn’t comply.”
“So you told him the location of Earth!” David yelled.
“Please David. Did you not learn anything about me when you fought for me? I have no intention of him winning this war. He would just enslave the human race. And that I can not allow.”
“What are you doing on his side then? Why the hell are you talking to me?!”
Julius paused, “I came to warn you”
David couldn’t believe it; but Julius had never lied too him before.
“He’s found your Highlander friend's staging point.” He continued “All of these missions have been decoys for all of you to wear yourselves
out.”
“Overt! Leave or I will kill you again!” David yelled and raised his rifle at the Vestige but the enemy Wanzer just turned around and headed back towards the retreating fleet.
“One more thing I think you would like to know,” said Julius.
“Ehlena is with him” then the Vestige raised the power of its thrusters to maximum and raced away from the Abysmal.
I've got to tell the others.
Before it's too late.

Last edited by The Highlander on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by The Highlander on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Sebastienne kicked her legs, trying to shoo away a bird that was trying to make it's nest on the branch underneath hers.
"Shoo, little'un! I got need for that branch, and I don't want to have to worry about crushin' your kin every time I climb up here."
The tiny sparrow landed on her knee, and cocked it's head, staring at her with intelligent dark eyes, before flying off to the adjacent tree to
begin preparations for a nest. Sebastienne sighed as she returned to the small leatherbound book in her lap. It was once a blank notebook,
but was now filled with the traditional prayers of her people (the original intent, as given by her parents, but after she had written them all out, she put it to use for other things). The prayers, though, were not what she had it opened for. She was staring intently at a sketch of a machine. It was rough, but an outsider could make out the image of a full arm gauntlet, with an upper-body harness to support it, and razorsharp clawed fingertips, a Khutt Krystal embedded in the first knuckle of each hand. She sighed again, as Lesiitaire, a particularly close Faerie friend, joined her.
"What's the reason for your dismay?" he asked in the silver language, perching lightly upon her shoulder.
"This...design...." The silver-blonde youth replied.
"What's the matter with it? Is the design flawed?"He asked innocently, to which Sebastienne chuckled slightly.
"Not the design, the person it was designed for."
Lesiitaire furrowed his brow. Now he was confused. "I don't understand..."
"Here," Sebastienne said, holding the book so it was easier to see, "The Khutt Krystals, they're there because there's no external power source for these. They can amplify any, and I mean any, powersource, depending on how many facets the Krystal has. See right here?," She pointed to a spot on the sketch, "On the harness, the spiraled piece of metal that sits on the lower back, and the one on the sternum? Those are actually like, plugs, that connect to your life-force, the natural energy produced by every soul. Mages naturally have the most, as it is used with their magic to cast certain spells, but if you're a normal person, you can train your soul to produce more."
"So what is the problem then, if you said everyone produces it?" Questioned her faerie companion.
"Everyone but me," Sebastienne replied flatly, "I mean, I produce enough of it to stay alive but ever since a while back, I haven't had anything left over to do with. That's why my weapon is a hammer, and not these. A hammer requires strength and skill, and these require soul."
Sebastienne sighed as a memory flashed through her vision.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sebastienne proudly lifted the harness she had built for her gauntlets off of the form, and placed it upon herself, nimbly hooking it in-between her shoulder blades, twice across her lower back, and twice across her stomach. She hooked on the left arm harness, then placed the gauntlet over it, attaching it at all the right spots.
"Ugh," she grunted,"Definitely heavy...."
She used her right arm to pick up two small metal pieces, simple spirals. She hooked the first upon the front top of the harness, allowing it to rest at the top of her sternum, and the second came to rest upon the small of her back. She pushed her silver blonde hair out of her eyes. This was the second testing. Though the first had been done before the 'accident', she was sure this one would go fine. She had worked out the kinks from last time, so she was ready. Sebastienne closed her eyes and focused on the 'gates' keeping her life-force from leaking through her skin. As soon as she opened them, all of her excess life force should flow into the Kutt Krystals, activating the gauntlet,
making it feel almost weightless upon her shoulder. Concentrating she opened them up and......nothing.
Nothing happened.
She had checked that everything was fit and connected before she put it on, why wasn't it working? She concentrated harder.
If if doesn't want to flow out, I'll force it out she thought, pouring her life force into the gauntlet.
Bad decision.
Immediately, Sebastienne fell to the ground, gasping for breath, her vision going black.
What's...what's going on? she wondered, and then all feeling was gone.
Sebastienne's head crashed to the floor. She probably would have died there, had not a passerby noticed her blood leaking from a gash at
the back of her head, staining her hair crimson. She was shut up in a healer's for days, it was touch and go through the week.
"What's wrong with me, Do you know?" The girl asked the Healer's assistant, though she was afraid of the answer.
"The Healer just thinks you overworked yourself 's all."
"But I've been resting, why aren't I getting any better," She demanded.
"We're trying to figure that out. The Healer thinks you depleted your life-force so much, that it dropped to a level where it couldn't even replace itself. Just what were you doing that could do that to you?" To this, Sebastienne half-heartedly
shrugged, her eyes dull and lifeless.
" Don't even know.."
A few days passed, and Sebastienne got restless, but more and more tired. She knew she was going to die soon, very soon, and tonight was a full moon so, she begged the Healer to let her sit outside. If she was going to die, she'd like to be in the presence of the moon. It
just felt right. The healer solemnly carried her outside and sat her upon a bench. Sebastienne's grey eyes immediately locked to the moon, and she breathed deep. Fresh air really was the best thing for any sickness.
Curiously, after that, Sebastienne made a quick recovery, and was released the next day. She immediately went to her shop, destroyed the gauntlets, and packed up her things. It was time to move on to a different town.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The snapping of a branch in the near vicinity alerted Sebastienne of the presence of another. She knew it couldn't be one of the heroes, none of them would dare disrespect the forest enough to snap off an entire branch of a tree. This was an intruder.
"Who's there?"She called, more confidence in her voice than in her mind. The sliver-haired girl jumped from her seat, lightly landing in the
ground, and turned around, grabbing her hammer. Lesiitaire darted off in the forest in front of her. There was a bright flash of light and a shriek pierced Sebastienne's ears. A shadow revealed itself through the foliage, and then a figure, tall and dark, followed it through.
It was him,
The Man in the Black Suit.
Sebastiennes face immediately shifted from one portraying a simple look of curiosity, to that of full blown hostility. Lesiitaire was clutched his right hand, and The Man's left hand was enclosed around an object Sebastienne could not discern, but that was not of importance to her
at the moment.
"First, off, let him go, or I'll bash out your brains without even giving you a chance to beg."
The Man simply chuckled, and released Lesiitaire's wings, the faerie immediately flying off towards the temple to alert the Highlander.
"So confident....aren't you. Maybe you won't be when I give you my news...." Sebastienne shifted nervously. "The Overlord is coming."
"To the Highlands!" Sebastienne laughed, "Is he insane? If he comes here, he'll be wiped out."
"Do you think he's stupid enough to come here alone? He's coming with an army of millions, my darling," He took one step towards her, grabbing her chin, "There's no point in resisting, But maybe, if you surrender now, I can convince the Overlord to not totally destroy you and your precious Highlands."
Sebastienne jerked her chin away and spat, "Or I could just destroy you first.." She swung her hammer at him, catching his wrist. The Man backed up, laughing, but with his face contorted in pain.
"That's not the only reason I came," He said, keeping his left had still enclosed around an unidentified object, "I was searching the site, the site were you destroyed the machine...and i found something interesting. You know, when I first saw you during the raid, I almost didn't recognize you with the hair,and the eyes....but there was something about it, i knew it wasn't natural, there had to be a reason. So I took backwards steps, and there, I found this..." The man opened his left hand, displaying a perfectly round, though odd colored Khutt crystal. This one was pure silver, and opaque, but it gave of a strange inner light, like a pearl, but even more iridescent. As the sunlight hit it, it gave of strange swirls of light colors, "The heart of the machine."
Sebastienne's eyes immediately locked on the crystal.
"Ahah..." The man chuckled.."you feel it, don't you? Even I could feel the power when I touched it. When I first found it, see I though I could use this power for something great, but as I tested it, I found an even better purpose..."
Sebastienne struggled to say something, but found she was paralyzed in the presence of the heart.
"You know," The Man confided,"It's a very bad idea to cut-off a machine without properly shutting it down first. Especially magic ones, They
have a habit of taking any power in the vicinity down with them. Including....one's life force."
He , slowly reached out with it toward Sebastienne, and smiled as she shivered. With a slight shock, Sebastienne's hair turned a chesnut brown, and her eyes regained thier deep hazel colour. The man pressed the crystal against her forehead, and Sebastienne breathed deep as the life-force started to flow back into her body. Almost instantly, the Man tore it away, and a fiery pain tore through Sebastienne. A torrent of iridescent threads shot out of Sebastienne, flowing into the crystal, and reclaiming her colour along with it. The threads cut off, and Sebastienne fell to the ground, completely exhausted, barely able to lift her head and scowl at The Man. He chuckled.
"It's a full moon tonight. You should be able to get back to your pathetic base by then, and warn them all, but don't count on being able to participate in the battle, if you can even call it that. I'd like to refer to it as a massacre, personally,"He laughed once again.
"You....."Sebastienne gasped, "Will never win."
"Oh my darling, I think I will." And with that, he smiled and left, leaving Sebastienne alone to struggle with what all this meant for her.

Last edited by The Highlander on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:44 pm; edited 7 times in total
The Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by The Highlander on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:57 pm

The Highlander was troubled. Bernard had called him on the communicator he had provided, informing him that they had been successful in their defense of Pluto against the Overlord's fleet, largely because of the contributions of Revan and Batblade, so that was good news. but
still, he felt an overwhelming sense of unease. Earlier that day, he had felt a disturbance. A tremor in the normally invulnerable field that protected the Highlands. It was much like what he felt when some being was sent, some threat to the Balance, that he was to deal with, like he had dealt with for so many thousands of years. But when he went to the spot, he found no trace of intruder. And he did not know where Sebastienne was off to today. True, she tended to wander, and tonight was a full moon, so she was probably looking for some place
from which to watch it. But still, the unease would not let his mind rest easy, no matter how illogical it was...
And there it was again. The same interruption, the same jarring in the flow of things around him, the same distortion in the
feel of the Highlands. Right behind him.
He felt a dark energy, a sinister presence, yet did not turn around.
But he did speak.
"What brings you here, wanderer?
"No wanderer am I, I know my purpose," a voice, soft and feminine, yet with an underlying harshness of... of unquestionable and cruel authority.
And now she circled as she talked, he could hear her soft but deliberate footsteps as she came around to face him.
"I bring a message, Highlander. From the Overlord."
He still knelt there, however, eyes closed and seemingly unperturbed at this troubling news, apparently uninterested of the figure before him.
"A Message? Do tell."
He could almost hear her smirk as she replied.
"He says to tell you he comes here, with a great host, millions strong."
He could hear the poison of her voice, feel the treachery she was working, even as she hid it behind the undoubtable truth of her message. For, if he could send a messenger here, why not an army?
"He wants you to know that your petty resistance will be ended, snuffed out, under his power. He wants you to know..."
There! The thin rasp of a knife drawn quietly from it's sheath. But not quiet enough.
"That you... will... DIE!" And she launched herself at him at last, only he was no longer there. He flipped neatly out of the way and suddenly stood, sword and dirk instantly in his hands, some ten feet back.
"If it's all the same, I'd rather not," he replied with a goading smile.
With a howl of rage, she hurled the knife, sending a wave of dark energy just behind it. The runes of his sword flared as he swung the blade up, shearing through magic and dagger alike, the latter of which fell to the ground with a clatter, hissing and smoking in the destruction at the hands of more powerful magic.
In a flash he had his dirk to her throat, sword raised to point inches from her heart. If she had one.
"Tell your master this, Necromantress. We shall not fall to such petty attempts, nor to mindless displays of power which he plans. Now begone, creature of darkness, before I decide to erase your offensive presence in this pristine place!" Her eyes flickered from his face to the dirk, then to the blazing sword, then back to him; eyes smoldering with helpless rage. Finally, she managed a reply through grinding teeth.
"I will deliver your message. But know this, Highlander. You have not heard the last of the Overlord, nor of Lady Vayle!"
With this, she carefully spat in his face, stepped back a few paces, and vanished in a dark portal which appeared at a gestures, swallowed her up, and disappeared just as quickly.
The Highlander carefully sheathed both sword and dirk, wiped his face on his sleeve, then began to make his way back to the temple.
As he approached, he found all the heroes gathered, listening to the grim encounters of Sebastienne and David Hadron. At his appearance
Sebastienne began to run in his direction, starting to relate the warning she had received. He noticed she looked pale, and shaken. But he held up a hand, silencing her.
"I already know. I too, have received a message. I should have known earlier, for this has been foreseen."
"Foerseen you say, Highlander?" Azrael exclaimed, "And you find now a fitting time to inform us?!"
"Patience, my friend," The Highlander said, returning from his detached frame of mind to sooth the Tiefling, "You may have the knowledge of centuries at your fingertips, but I have millenia of information crowding my thoughts. Besides, only now do I see how this matches the prophesy."
Azrael looked startled, then nodded understandingly, "So, what exactly does this prophecy foretell?" Inquired Thör-Axe.
The Highlander gazed into the distance, and answered distantly.
"In a way, it was you who reminded me, little one," addressing Sebastienne, "You called yourself a living moonflower, and bask always in her sweet light when she waxes full. This month, she shall do so twice. But the second, in a few weeks time, shall be quite unique."
Before anyone could interject a question, the Highlander began to hum an eerie, supernatural tune, eventually flowing into a tune; a marching tune, a tune with battle and blood written through out, a tune that inspired bravery and courage. Thus did he quote the prophesy set down ages past, by those few enlightened by
Alaunus.

"Axe will flash, Broadsword swing
Shining Eldritch's piercing sheen
Hammer fall on polished shield
Fight those traitors 'till they yield

Midnight Sun and Blood Red Moon
Fight to keep this land your own
Sound the Battle Hue and Cry
How many of them can we make die?

Gun's will blaze, Dagger slash
Mage's spells give blinding Flash
Soulless Ones through portals come
Hearts will beat to battle drum.

Foreign sky or Native Land,
Fight to stay the Evil's hand
Now we sound the Battlecry
How many of them can we make die?

After he was finished, they all stood quiet once more, comprehending the fullness of the approaching doom.
"So It Begins, in earnest."

Last edited by The Highlander on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by The Highlander on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:57 pm

Azrael sat in front of the temple with his dragon scale armor on his lap, examining the countless layers of enchantments on it for any flaws. If he had been wearing it on his last mission, he reflected, he wouldn't have needed to worry about falling from the ship; the armor could sprout huge dragon wings at will. Looking back into the temple he saw the Highlander and Admiral Bernard hunched over a holographic display, gesturing and talking earnestly. He focused in on their conversation for a moment, curious as to the topic at hand.

"...Overlord will be bringing... big guns. We... more help." Azrael focused in more to hear the Highlander's words.
"He's been actively recruiting from across the planes and I've been relying on fate to send me what I need. But that may not be enough. Perhaps, I have the power to find more people like us. Ought we not use it, Bernard?"

"Perhaps Fate knows its course better than we. Ought we to tempt it?"

Azrael lost focus and could not hear Bernard's reply, but he let out a pained sigh.

This is more than I bargained for... But I can't back out now. Too much is at stake, even for me...

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

In the forest, Thör-Axe stalked his prey. He crept silently through the trees, alert for any noise or movement. Off to his left a twig cracked behind a bush and he whirled, calling on the power of the metal gods. He leapt towards the bush, his jump boosted by the Axe. Midair, he glimpsed movement to his right and tried to turn but it was too late. A dark, raccoon-tailed form shot from the shadows and tackled Thör-Axe, bringing him crashing to the ground. Not even stopping the form rolled with the fall into another shadow beneath a tree and disappeared.
"Not fair, Dingo," wheezed
Thör-Axe.
thör-Axe stood again and sighed. He closed his eyes and focused on listening to the harmonies in the forest. The forest was a place of peace and light, as befitting the home of the Highlander. His hearing enhanced by the Axe of the Metal Gods, he immediately stopped the disharmony that was Dingo Batblade. He sensed the presence flitting around in a circle around his still form, jumping from shadow to shadow, waiting to pounce. With a slight smirk, Thör-Axe took a few steps to his right, eyes still closed. This placed him in the middle of a small, well lit clearing. The circling of Dingo became tighter, closing in for the kill. Thör-Axe tensed, focusing intently on sensing the ever-changing location of Dingo. Finally, Dingo tired of waiting. He launched out of a shadow behind Thör-Axe at a ridiculous speed. But not fast enough. Thör-Axe spun, Axe of the Metal Gods changing form even as he turned. Dingo, lightning fast, managed to change his orientation and grab onto the webbed shield the weapon had turned into instead of hitting it headfirst. However, his impact caused the shield to snap closed
around him, and not even his prodigious strength was enough to break free.
"Gotcha," grinned Thör-Axe.
Dingo's face was squished into the webbing. "Lemme go you oaf." He squirmed a little. "And this only makes the score twenty three to one."
Thör-Axe's grin widened. "Care for another go?"
Azrael stood at one end of the gully, the Highlander at the other. This was the only place in the highlands that Azrael could unleash his full power,and the Highlander the entirety of his
personal arsenal, without worrying about damaging the environs, and the scorched rocks and torn earth bore testament to it's frequent use. After each session, the Highlander made careful work to restore the area, but made sure to keep it bare of all significant growth. The gully itself was actually just outside the border of the blessed area of the Highlands, and part of the larger, surrounding area which straddled the line of time-space, but was otherwise unremarkable. The Highlander and Azrael had combined their efforts to raise a permanent shield around the gully to prevent any defected spells from causing any damage to the true Highlands, or the rest of the surrounding area.
It was the Highlander's move. He stood, legs loosely planted and arms outstretched. His features were completely slack, every ounce of concentration focused on the spell he wove between his hands. The air thrummed loudly as he thrust his hands at Azrael, releasing all the built-up energy in a single golden ray.
But Azrael was ready for him. Already Azrael had been calling on his powers. In the furthest reaches of the astral plane, currents of eldritch energy the width of planets coursed through the void, carrying enough power to utterly annihilate solar systems. Azrael called, and the currents responded, shifting their ponderous courses and flowing through a hole in the very fabric of the multiverse to Azrael's call. Azrael swung his hand in a wide ark. Blue lightning crackled violently around it as he clapped it together with his other hand, already outstretched at the Highlander, unleashing a withering blast of eldritch energy to meat the ray from the Highlander. Both attacks met between the two, and reality seemed to scream in agony at the sheer amount of energy contained in one place, twisting and folding almost visibly in on itself. Time seemed to freeze for a single agonized moment, and then the two attacks exploded violently, vaporizing yet another huge chunk of the gully. Azrael and the Highlander each took a step back and made the exact same motion with their hands, throwing up a shield around them just in time to block the shockwave. They were readying their next attacks before it had ceased. Streamers of fiery energy lanced down from the heavens at the Highlander even as the rocks around Azrael's feet suddenly became akin to liquid in density, reaching up with near sentience to swallowhim. The streamers of fire were engulfed by icy energy from the Highlander and the animated stone was quickly put back in it's place with a powerful blast of unfettered eldritch power. A stench of ozone filled the air around Azrael and he grinned. His eyes glowed bright blue with the power he was channeling, and the air around him seemed distorted by the energy swirling around him. His grin was met with a quiet smile from the Highlander. It was rare that either of them could test their powers with little restraint, and the experience was invigorating.
It was early yet. They had plenty of time to truly test their limits.
Sebastienne spun in the clearing, her hammer weaving a scintillating pattern amongst the stone golems. One huge sweep knocked the head of of one and blasted through the chests of two more. With each debilitating blow, the golems would slink back from the battle only to reform, joining the fight again a few moments later. Azrael had conjured them at her request to help her train, and the sheen of sweat covering her skin attested to how long she had been at it. The golems moved with blinding speed, but Sebastienne was faster. She spun her hammer around behind her and flipped backwards, using the force of her blow into a golem's torso to boost herself out of the center of the
constructs. They turned with uncanny precision, closing on her again with a mindless desire to subdue. She had started with two at once just the day before, and her quick tally counted ten of them in the clearing. She spun her warhammer in her hands idly, distracted in her
momentary respite by thoughts of the mysterious visit two nights before. Fortunately, the time frame he had boasted for the attack was incorrect, but the gem... She shook off her reverie and waded back into the crush of golems, glad for the mindless combat to distract her.
David Hadron banged the hull of his Wänzer in frustration. He'd tried everything he could think of to get the weapons systems online and the craft fully operational but the power core simply couldn't maintain enough power output. Some natural force in the Highlands seemed to subdue any high-energy reactions, including the nuclear reactions in the Wänzer's core. It didn't completely stop them, but there was no way he of any of Bernard's techs had been able to discover to get full power output from any sort of reactor, nuclear or otherwise.
He had just finished a painstaking four hour long retuning and calibration of the core with Sebastienne's help to no avail. Output still hovered at just four percent.
"I've tried everything I know," said Sebastienne. "It just refuses to make reactions fast enough... No matter what I do the the timings, it
stays the same. I can make it slower..." She laughed in frustration. "But not fast enough... I guess AK will just have to sit this one out."
"Regrettable, but I, too, see no way around it." Hadron stared glumly at his essentially crippled Wänzer.
He'd just have to do this the old way.
Bernard stood with the Highlander on a ridge, looking down at the huge, flat, treeless expanse below them.
"You're sure you can force the Evil Overlord to open his portals down there?" asked Bernard, not turning his head.
"I can't stop all of the portals, but I have limited his options for opening large portals. The bulk of his troops will have to come through down there, yes."
"I've got a small army of construction workers fortifying this whole ridge. By tomorrow at noon we'll have overlapping arcs of fire across any
point below the ridge, and we'll have complete control of all the choke points on the approach to the temple. Too bad we can't use the big guns here, but we've got solid-shell emplacements being set up. Normal troops won't stand a chance."
"They won't have normal troops old friend," sighed the Highlander. "Of course he'll send his fodder through here to distract your men, but
the real battle will be fought at the temple. His best warriors, mages, assassins, all his elites... But that will be our job. Or, perhaps... Perhaps our place will be at the battlefield after all..."
Silently, the two surveyed the land before them, thinking of the coming days when the grass would be drowned in blood.
An own hooted forlornly in the moonlight, unaware of the apocalyptic battle slowly approaching. Sebastienne sat on her familiar branch munching on an egg salad sandwich and basking in the moonlight. Her silver hair shimmered in the moonlight and she gazed up at the cloudless night sky.

Soon,
she though sadly, Soon that sky will be shrouded in the clouds of smoke from burning flesh...
Under that same moon David Hadron sat cross-legged in his small room in the temple. Laid out before him were his weapons of choice, freshly cleaned, sharpened, and oiled. He reached out reverently to caress the razor sharp blade of his katana, and his hand wandered over to brush along the shaft of his longspear. His muscles unconsciously flexed in remembered patters, ready for the thrill of combat to unleash their pent-up energy on the enemy. He picked up his SMG and pulled back the slide, checking for and grime inside before letting it snap back into place with an ominous
chink!, doing the same with his oversized pistol. Each of his well-kept weapons were responsible for ending hundreds of lives apiece, and he was sure that the next few days would see that tally double or even triple easily.
He would be ready.
A rousing battle hymn rang through the temple, the strong notes emanating from the Axe of the Metal Gods in Thor-Axes arms. A touch of magic bolstered the effect, filling the hearts of all who heard it with courage. The Highlander reclined beside him, nodding in time to the beat and offering the occasional correction or suggestion. He had been teaching the Hymn to Thör-Axe for the whole morning, and he was
finally at the point where the magic inherent in the hymn could take hold and add a whole new dimension to the music. The Highlander smiled, but his smile was tempered with the thoughts of the day fast approaching where the battle hymn would be played in earnest.

Last edited by The Highlander on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by The Highlander on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:58 pm

It was several weeks later and very near the prophesied day of battle. It was a clear, cool night, one that heralded the end of Summer, and the moon waxed near full. In the forest the Highlander walked, remembering with an odd mix of nostalgia and sorrow how often he had walked these woods, only to find some threat to the balance, quick to fight and quicker still to be vanquished. Days upon months, years upon decades, centuries upon millenia...These days he found something different.
"Up once again, young one? Even the best of us require sleep. You are pushing yourself too hard. Take care lest you exhaust yourself before the battle is even upon us," He looked up at Sebastienne, sitting in her familiar pose on a tree branch, back to the trunk, face upturned towards the moon.Sebastienne, eyes still on the moon, smiled, "Eh, Sorro, I think it'd be more exhausting not to be up. And shouldn't you be restin'?"
"It is long since I have had need to take such... mortal necessities. I do when I can, but I can go without at need." With a light touch of magic, the Highlander jumped up to sit on a branch adjacent to Sebastienne's.
"Well then, don't you ever dream?" She asked.
The Highlander gave a slight, sad smile. "That is one activity I have not had the ability to partake in since my... appointment. In sleep, anyway. In waking, I only ever dream, yearn, for one thing anymore."
"Is it....." Sebastienne paused, a word poised on her lips, "death?"
The Highlander nodded, eyes staring sightlessly over countless years of involuntary servitude, "Aye. Death's sweet embrace, an end to this wearying work I never asked for. But," he sighed, eyes coming back to the present, "Not until my task is done."
"So I guess then, this battle will be our last, Sorro?" She drew her knees to her chest, exhaling deeply.
"I... I don't know. Perhaps this shall forever set the balance aright. Perhaps the Evil One's accumulation of the villainous aspects of existence, if defeated once, will be defeated for all." Again, the Highlander sighed, a deeper sigh, of resignation, "But I doubt it. I doubt
that the Balance shall ever be without a Keeper; that my station shall ever be without need."
"Can't you pass it on? Why'd they leave something like this to one person forever?"
The Highlander let out a short laugh, "Well, it is not as if there has ever been a precedent. As far as my knowledge extends, this is the first time someone such as I has existed," He looked thoughtful, "Perhaps it could be passed on. Again, I am not entirely certain. But I would never wish it on anyone."
"What if someone wished it upon themselves, Sorro? Or what if the Gods finally decide to give you rest?"
A short, humorless laugh. "No one in their right mind would wish it upon themselves. And the gods have not seen fit to pay any heed to my plight in all these millenia."
Sebastienne gave a quiet guttural. "Hn, the gods are selfish."
"Aye, they are. But what are we mere mortals to do, hm?"
"Heh," Sebastienne looked down, but the grimaced, looking back to the moon, “look to the stars. My people say they're the ones who looked out for us when the gods abandoned us in our time of need."
"Do they? Tell me of your world, young one, and of the gods there. And of your stars, too, that turn a kinder eye to us chained here below."
Sebastienne smiled, "Magic drove technology there. The gifted made a living providing power for the 'mage cells'. er, battery packs, of sorts. My birth record says I was born under the Hammer constellation, on a full moon. My family's patron goddess is Ellhuenia, but the gods......There was a fight once, between a goddess and the mortal man she had fallen in love with. He wanted to marry a mortal, but she
wanted him. When he rejected her, she told him that he, and all his ancestors would regret it, and we did. The Gods left to sit upon their thrones, and left the land barren and dry. Until one day, a constellation fell....Mijo, the cat. He restored the land to prosperity, and since then, we've prayed to individual stars and constellations. They're much less spiteful than gods."
She let out a slight chuckle.
"I, I have always hoped that the gods would one day release their spite, and show favor upon us. I believe........I believe me, surviving off the moon......is Ellhuenia's way of saying that....she's still there." At this, she sighed.
"Or perhaps it is merely another way for them to keep us in chains." The Highlander nearly spat, his face dark with a suppressed rage.
"My apologies, young one," he said almost hurriedly, a face forced calmer, "I should not have said that. It is quite possible it is as you say. Perhaps your gods have learned something from their former actions."
"Or maybe, it's just one," She rested her head against the tree trunk, "It's true, I'm in chains. Bound to the moon for what I foresee as eternity, but it's better than being dead."
"Then you and I are alike, young one. We are both bound unbreakably to our gods. And, for both of us, the loosing of those chains would end in death."
The Highlander let out another short, humorless laugh. "But where your chains are a lifeline, mine are a sentence."
Sebastienne smiled out of the corner of her mouth, "But, Sorro, I…I'm prepared to fight. To fight for my life back. To fight for the right to die the right way."
The Highlander smiled to, in turn. "I am glad to hear it, young one. I know you have a fighter’s spirit. And you may yet get your chance, a few days hence. We all might."
His smile faded at that sobering thought.
"I'm......." Sebastienne sighed, "I'm scared though. I've never been in a war, or even in a real battle for that matter."
The Highlander put a hand on Sebastienne's shoulder, "Of course you are. You would be a fool not to be afraid. But courage is facing your fear, meeting it, and triumphing over it. You have prepared yourself for battle, and are very skilled. Your allies are powerful and many, and we have the Balance on our side. And, remember, I will be there, and will do what I can to aid you."
"Let's just hope it doesn't have to come to that point."
"I pray it does not,for what prayers are worth” the Highlander said, withdrawing to look again at the setting moon, “but the other points still stand."
"Heh." Sebastienne released her knees, swinging them beneath the branch, "Do you know how many days we have left?’Till they're comin', that is?"
"How many days till the moon is full?" The Highlander immediately queried in reply, still looking towards the celestial object in question.
Sebastienne sighed, "Stupid people, wasting my best feeding night," She gave a light, but heartless, laugh.
"I'm not sure you would in any case. That day will not just be when Luna waxes fullest."
Quietly, the Highlander sang a part of the prophetic battle hymn, "...
Midnight Sun and Blood-Red Moon…”
BeforeSebastienne could ask the next question poised in her mind, The Highlander stopped, eyes now blank as he felt through the fabric of
the Highlands.
“One…Two…Three…Four, no… Five. Five ripples in the barrier, four of which are together and very nearby.”
He quickly slid from his branch, landing magically light. Sebastienne jumped down as well. By this time, the moon was setting. Quickly, silently, the Highlander began to make his way through the forests he had grown to know so well, Sebastienne following. As they walked,
they came across three of their fellow heroes, discussing something in the late hours of the night, now the early hours of the morning.
Dingo, barely visible in the dark shadows of the pre-dawn night, Revan, sharpening his katana, and Azrael, eyes glowing slightly to
facilitate his night-vision. “Six,” the Highlander said, moments before he noticed the trio. The Highlander seemed deeply preoccupied,
so Sebastienne quickly explained the situation as best she could. As she finished, the Highlander seemed to come out of his thoughts, and
notice the group in front of him.
“Batblade, about three miles south of here, deep in the forest, was one of the interruptions. Scout it out, before dawn. The light shouldn’t be too much of a problem that deep in the undergrowth, but no chances. Revan, there was another about half a mile North-East, nearer the temple. Azrael, come with me.” The three silently nodded, before Dingo and Revan quietly slipped into the foliage in their separate directions.
After a moment, The Highlander began traveling once again, straight west. Azrael joined the Highlander, traveling next to him, and extending
invisible lines of eldritch energy to sense any disturbances. Unheeded, Sebastienne followed silently behind. After a half hour’s journey, they stopped just short of a meandering, mostly dry, riverbed. Its size and lack of water caused a significant break in the normally unbroken line of forest, and inside they could see three beings discussing something in earnest amongst themselves; a large, battle scarred ogre, complete with some (relatively) light armor and an enormous broadsword, and two humans, a slightly-graying man in chain-mail armor, carrying a decorative sword and shield, and a woman in well-worn traveling gear, a pair of bladed fans folded up in one hand. Silently, Azrael pointed a bit farther away, where they spied a forth, half-hidden in the shadows, obviously standing guard. He was facing the wrong way, however, and had not yet detected the Highlander, Azrael, and Sebastienne’s nigh-silent approach. Signing to his companions to spread out and wait, the Highlander stood up and silently exited the treeline.
“Greetings, Wanderers…”

Last edited by The Highlander on Sat May 30, 2009 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by The Highlander on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:58 pm

..In the Fortress of the Evil Overlord...
In chamber, the Overlord sat facing the door as several beings filed in, and arranged themselves along the long meeting table. Admiral Kharl sat near the head of the table, massaging his bandaged and slowly healing jaw, across from a figure wreathed in a myriad of swathes of red clothe that revealed only glowing yellow eyes. Farther down, a man in the outfit of a commander sat fairly arrogantly, avoiding eye contact with the wizened Cryptozoologist sitting across from him. The Necromantress called the
Lady Vayle sat herself aloofly, with her eyes locked keenly on the Overlord, ignoring the rather obvious stares of Carl Humperdink, who sat opposite her. Near the end of the table sat a cocky young man dressed in a dark-tan trench coat, unbuttoned, with a knife in each boot, a flask at one hip and a pistol holster at the other, with a whip coiled on his belt and a bandolier across his chest. His boots were up on the table, his fedora sat jauntily far back on his head, and his hand idly and automatically flipped and caught a small silver coin. Across from him was an empty chair. Finally, the last to enter, the confident and commanding figure of Julius walked in, taking the seat at the foot of the table, facing the Evil Overlord across the long meeting hall. After a few minutes of silence, the Overlord touched a small display on his end of the table. A small light glowed
dimly, before the display was dispersed at a wave of the Overlord's hand. The whole table's attention swung towards the door, then, as it opened to reveal a figure most had given up for as lost. There, bandaged, injured, with clothes shredded and a battered gun serving as a support for his tired frame, stood the Closet Sniper, recently escaped from the security of the brig of Bernard's flagship. He said not a word, but took a couple steps forward, so as to be able to see all the occupants of the table clearly. Silently, the door behind him swung shut as the Evil Overlord broke the silence,
"Give your report..."

Last edited by The Highlander on Sat May 30, 2009 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingo Batblade on Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:17 am

“Ah, a little snack before dawn sounds lovely”, said Dingo to himself as he moved silently through the woods towards the interruption.
The woods had taken on a wonderfully silent and dark mood. Though the moon was not yet full,it shown brightly through small breaks in the forest canopy. The eerie combination of pitch black occasionally broken by rays of bright moonlight looked beautiful to Dingo’s eyes. It made him hungry for a kill.
Suddenly Dingo came upon a clearing where he guessed the intruder had showed up. The ground about the clearing looked disheveled and there were a pair of footprints across it. As Dingo moved to investigate the footprints, the sound of twigs snapping caught his attention. Immediately on alert, he drew his blade and assumed a crouching battle stance, scanning the woods about him. He could see small rustling within the bushes around him but despite his night vision he could not see anything.
Brandishing his mighty Batblade with apprehension, Dingo took one small step backward….and was immediately snared by a large net that swung him high into the air. Dingo, chuckling to himself at the absurdity of someone thinking they could trap him with simple ropes, simply
enjoyed the ride as the net swung up into the air. However as the net was about to hit solid ground, instead he crashed through a cleverly concealed hole to be impaled upon a wooden stake through the stomach.
Shocked by how close he had just come the actual death, Dingo angrily tore free of the makeshift spear and leapt out of the hole.
Dingo, angry now from having a large hole stabbed through him, began pacing the clearing, looking for the sorry mortal who had been responsible. Hearing a sound behind him, Dingo angry spun and let loose the power of his Batblade with a burst of Inspiration. As the blade struck the ground, a cruel streak of pure energy slashed through the woods, annihilating all in its path. Still without seeing a foe, Dingo saw a series of moving plants moving right out of the way of the blast.
“Hmmm, an invisible enemy eh?” Dingo darted towards the spot where he believed the invisible enemy to have fallen only to be blinded by a brilliant flash and an earsplitting BANG! As Dingo stood there dazed an unseen fist drove straight into him, almost knocking him off his feet. Again Dingo was hit, in the face, and a third time, with something metal (presumably a gun), causing sharps sparks of pain across his body. Finally recovering some small part of his senses he caught a fourth punch and retaliated with a 'Spartan kick', knocking down whoever stood in front of him. Finally recovering the last of his senses, Dingo quickly stabbed his blade down at his fallen foe, only to feel the blade stab through empty air to embed itself in the ground. Suddenly a kick from below flung Dingo to the ground and as he rolled back on his feet the invisible foe began moving away.
Hot on pursuit, Dingo began readying himself for another blast from his Batblade when suddenly his foot was caught by a bear trap.
“What the hell!?” Dingo said as he stopped to tear the painfully inept contraption off of his foot. Hearing a creaking sound Dingo looked up right as a log came swinging down to smack him twenty feet through the forest. Actually hearing his undead joints creaking, Dingo got up with hate in his black heart.
“Death’s too good for this fool”, he growled into the night. Dingo looked about him for some sign of movement but it seemed that his assailant had disappeared.
“Oh you’ll not escape my wrath,” Dingo traced back to the clearing with the pit and began sniffing around. Finally he caught the scent of a man and began following it through the forest.
“Hmmmm, how strange. Smells like a man, but there’s something else. Something more…..wild. What kind of being is this?”
Finally Dingo traced the strange scent to another clearing. Having learned his lesson, Dingo tread very carefully into the moonlight, searching for more traps. Suddenly feeling a warning pulse from some latent enchantment in his Batblade, Dingo dove to the side, narrowly avoiding being incinerated by a small cluster bomb, the force of the explosion flinging Dingo into a nearby tree. With fluid movements Dingo avoided slamming into the tree and instead deftly leapt off of it, scoring him a few bullet holes for his troubles. The minute Dingo landed upon the ground, unsteadily, He was once again barraged with bullets till his cloak hung about him in ruins.
Seizing a sudden idea, Dingo made a spluttering noise and fell to the ground. Being undead and already full of holes, it was all too easy playing dead. A moment later soft footfalls sounded across the clearing and something invisible stood above Dingo. With a smirk and a battle cry, he finished his incantation and a small army of undead raccoons attacked the air in front of him. To Dingo’s satisfaction the raccoons did in fact collide with something substantial which elicited a cry of surprise from the invisible man.
Believing himself the victor, Dingo got up and began to walk off when suddenly a very sudden change in the man’s scent caught his attention. As he turned around an undead raccoon flew at blinding speed by his head to shatter against a far away tree. What Dingo saw in front of him intrigued him greatly. Instead of seeing nothing, or a man standing among the broken bodies of his undead minions, he
saw a strange beast resembling a cross between a twelve foot mutant he had once fought and a deranged wolf-man. The beast had only four fingers on each appendage but were all possessing wicked claws. It had very ragged brown hair and piercing blue eyes. Not the eyes of an animal, but the eyes of a man. A man that wanted Dingo dead. Any other man would have shrieked in terror and ran as the beast leapt forward with mouth agape, But Dingo actually welcomed this new turn of events.
“HAHA! No more running now!!” As the beast came close enough to rip him to pieced, Dingo smacked it with a left uppercut, then sent it flying backward with a hard roundhouse. With a hard planting of its legs, the beast recovered from its backward flight and retaliated by darting in low and fast, too fast for Dingo to react, and flung him straight up into the air. In an attempt to cause the beast’s attack combo to backfire, Dingo slashed downward with his blade but though he cut a deep gash down the length of the monsters body, he could not stop the beast from spiking Dingo straight into a tree with such force that he broke through with an explosion of wood chips.
Quickly recovering, Dingo sidestepped just in time to avoid a hammering strike from his foe. Before the beast could turn to attack, Dingo threw himself at his enemy, crashing through the woods, pummeling the beast and getting completely knocked about in return. With a mighty kick, the beast separated the grapple and began running through the forest.
“Oh no you don’t!” Dingo screamed as he ran after him. On through the forest they ran, the beast plowing through trees and Dingo running
lithely a distances beside him. Dingo pulled out some knives from within his pants pockets and flung them at the beast. With blinding speed the beast grasped a log and blocked the knives before throwing the log right at Dingo. Still running, he jumped over it. Then both combatants planted they’re feet, and leapt into the air, the beast With claws outstretched, and Dingo with a flip. Continuing his flip,Dingo struck down the beast with a swinging kick downwards.
As Dingo landed, he darted towards the beast, ready to finish him off with his Batblade. The beast regained his footing, ripped a whole tree from its roots and swung the tree down, attempting to crush Dingo. Being to fast for such a clumsy attack, Dingo dodged it and attempted to cut the beast in half. Dingo’s strike, however, was stopped with a quick kick which the beast then followed up with by batting Dingo into the air with a horizontal swing of his tree. Before Dingo could fully get up from his collision with the ground, however, the tree came back to meet him. The beast caught up with him, moved the tree off, and made Dingo quite angry by landing a bone shattering punch right on his face.
“That’s it!”Dingo punched the beast with all his might, forcing it to move back a step and then plunged his Batblade into the ground with a burst of Inspiration and an earth shattering explosion. The ground near him was scorched black and the trees all around were either incinerated or knocked down. Too exhausted to do much else Dingo leaned on his blade and tried not to think about the wounds he would have to heal in the next coming hours. In front of him lay the beast, panting amid a pile of broken trees. Though he looked as exhausted as Dingo felt, the beast’s wounds had all healed. Seconds later the beast transformed into what looked like a normal man again.
“Who…..who are you?” queried Dingo. The man looked up at Dingo and after a while responded,
“My name... is.... Artemis Hyde."
Dingo chuckled and licked his lips, “Well Artemis Hyde, you can go back and tell the Evil Overlord that he’s going to have to bring something a lot better than this to take us down.”
“Wait……You’re not one of the Evil Overlords vampire minions?”
“What? No! I fight for the good guys, with the Highlander.”
“Really. The Highlander sent me here…..”
“He did?.......”
For a long time the too stay there in silence, before finally Dingo breaks the silence by bursting into laughter. The sky begins to grow bright and Dingo sheaths his sword and begins walking deeper into the forest.
“If you head North you should come across a temple. The Highlander should be there. Do me a favor and tell him I’m sorry about the mess. Now, it is almost dawn and I have much healing to be done.” Dingo then moves out of sight just as the first few rays of sunlight touched the Highlands, leaving Artemis to lay there, contemplating the night he had just had and the next coming days.
Dingo Batblade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastienne Pestiieno on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:48 pm

"Greetings Wanderers....." At the Highlanders words the men in the group straightened up, and took on a casual defensive stance. The ninja turned around the right way and observed silently from the back, while the woman looked at the approaching man out of the corner of her eyes, tightening her grip on her fighting-fans.

"Be you friend or foe?" The woman spoke, her husky voice thick with a strange foreign accent and laced with venom, making the question almost a threat...almost.

"Well if your definition of friend is the same as mine, I'd have to say that's what I am," the Highlander answered.

"Well friend," spoke up a middle-aged man, "Might you tell us where you are and who you are..."The woman's eyes flashed towards the tree line, and she quietly whispered something to the man, "...All of you, that is. My friend has noticed your two companions in the forest."

The Highlander nodded back towards the forest, and Azrael and Sebastienne quietly left the shadows and joined him.

"I am the Highlander, and this is Sebastienne Pestiieno and Azrael," He said, gesturing to each of them in turn. Sebastienne responded with a small smile, and Azrael with a simple nod before the Highlander continued, "And these...are the highlands, crossroad of the universes."

"Are you proposing then, Sir," the ogre spoke up, "That there is more than one world, more than one universe?"

"Precisely," replied the Teifling, "and every last one of them is in danger at this very moment."

"Now," Interrupted the Highlander, "If you could kindly tell us who you are and how you got here, I'm sure we could figure out how to help eachother."

"Sounds like a fair deal," the middle aged man reasoned. "I am Teine Gaoth"

"Kharl Storm," said the ogre.

"Lady Vyrlie Apikhal-Jav qe Mavroe-Torryn," The woman said. Kharl chuckled.

"Still so proud of the name." At this he recieved a glare from Lady Vyrlie

"And I'm Akuma Yaiba," The ninja offered in a quiet but strong voice.

"We're not exactly sure how we got here," admitted Teine, stepping to a leadership position at the front of the group, "but we believe an artifact we were examining may have something to do with it."

"Well, tell me of this artifact and how you came upon it," suggested the Highlander.

"A gem," said Lady Vyrlie,"I'm not sure of the exact color...it constantly shifted under the light...not even my Syte could get a definite pigment.." At this, Vyrlie was interrupted by Sebastienne.

"Um..excuse me..Syte?" She inquired, a puzzled look upon her face.

"It's a magical mutation....it's basically extremely enhanced vision, among other things," Kharl explained, before nodding to Vyrlie to continue.

"As I was saying," Vyrlie smiled at Sebastienne to keep from seeming intimidating, "An unclassifiable gem.....immense power stored within....extremely complex spells placed upon it..I could only understand about 1/5 of the magic weaves with all my training, and that wasn't enough to even remotely classify its purpose."

Kharl chuckled slightly, "And neither Teneviel nor I could understand more than 1/4 each, which was why we called everyone back together."

"It was a horribly inconvenient time, as my husband had just gotten home.."

Teine laughingly interrupted vyrlie,"Your noble, honest husband with his darling, legitimate business...."

Vyrlie shot him a look and elbowed him before continuing,"but I was happy to see my old friends again. Akuma was the first to meet Tenevial, an old elf friend of ours, and Kharl, I was the next to arrive and Teine was last. The Gem had been extracted from the ruins and placed in a work room where we were all assembled."

"So you guys have worked together before?" Sebastienne asked.

"We had several...missions in the past before we all went our seperate ways....Vyrlie to command her 'special forces', Teneviel and I to travel, discover, and negotiate, Akuma to rebuild his dojo and Teine went to the military," Kharl explained, purposely keeping things vague out of caution.

"Please, continue," The highlander said in reference to the story.

"Tenevial had to run out to get supplies, but Vyrlie and Kharl decided to probe it with magic, see what they could discover and tell Tenevial when he returned. There was some sort of explosive flash, I'm not sure if it was an actual explosion, or a force wave of magic, but I'll assume that's what transported us here and here we have been for the past few hours," Teine finished up, "Now, i'm curious. How exactly are we supposed to help you?"

"There is a force out there led by one known as The Evil Overlord whose goal is to take over all worlds in the universe and use them to serve his selfish and wicked needs. He's not a force to be taken lightly. I'm going to keep this short and to the point," the Highlander's gaze pierced each of the travelers in turn, "He's amassed an army, and they'll be here shortly. I feel you could all be of help to me in protecting not only this world, but all worlds from his tyranny. I can transport anything you need here, each of your own troops, supplies, comrades. If you help me against him in this battle, I can transport you back to your world."

The travelers turned in and began discussing in low tones. Vyrlie was making small, sharp gestures accompanying her low whisper, while Teine furrowed his brow, and Kharl crossed his arms. The ninja silently scratched his chin. Vyrlie stopped gesturing while the others talked, then finally turned to the Highlander.

"We're in."

Sebastienne Pestiieno
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Highlander on Sat May 30, 2009 10:14 pm

"Are you sure that was wise, Sorro?" Sebastienne whispered fiercely to the Highlander as they, and their new companions, slowly began the journey back to the Temple. The Highlander was leading them back, with Sebastienne right beside him; understanding an unspoken command of the Highlander's, Azrael had dropped back to talk more with the new arrivals, who had all dropped back a decent ways so as to keep their conversation somewhat guarded.
"They seem trustworthy, young one, if that's what you mean," The Highlander responded, equally quietly, and keeping his eyes on the path ahead the whole time. "There is no evil about them, and no deceit except their cautious vagueness, and that is a sensible precaution."
Sebastienne brushed aside a low-hanging branch, responding somewhat irritatedly, "I know that. Or, I figured that, if you could trust them, they ought to be trustworthy enough. I meant, was it smart saying you could transport whatever they needed? I thought that was one thing you couldn't do."
Glancing behind him a moment, the Highlander made sure that the other group was still within following distance, then ressumed the lead, careful to disturb the natural woods as little as possible, "I'm not entirely sure it can't be done. Bernard thinks we shouldn't risk it, but I am beginning to feel that we may very well need to try quite a few impossible things in order to succeed."
With a half smile, Sebastienne replied,"Well, if there's one thing you're good at, it's being impossible."

It's perfectly balanced, perfectly planned. More than enough, for this man. Like every tree
stands on its own, reaching for the sky, I stand alone. I share my world, with no one else.
All by myself, I stand alone
The Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by David Hadron on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:04 pm

David had always hated walking; it reminded him of happier times.
David walked through the forest fully outfitted for battle. His Katana sheathed to his back in its slender black encasement, blended in with the darkness that surrounded him. His Longspear, a gift from his step-father, was fastened by a strip of leather sown into his attire to his back. His firearms where holstered on both hips, his M6P5AP Pistol on his left and his M38SM2SF Submachine gun on his right. David was going to take no chances if there was an enemy coming from this portal that the Highlander had mentioned.
The Highlands were unusually quiet and the atmosphere was bleak, though that was alright with David, he liked it bleak, it felt more familiar to him. Since he last saw Julius David was starting to wonder if all he accomplished, all he had sacrificed, had been worth it.
“I have only one other thing to sacrifice and I would rather give my life before I gave up hers” He thought to himself.
He was worried about his Wänzer, wouldn’t give any electrical signals worth powering itself. He could accelerate the reactions to what he needed to power it but he couldn’t control the rate of the reactions, and he thought it would be a great inconvenience if they all suddenly dissolved inside of a nuclear explosion, so he’s resigned it to scanning and processing duties, much to the “extreme degradation” of AK.
David stopped. He was at a boundary were the grasslands met the forest, at was as if nature had found a way to come to an agreement on how to live with all of it’s floral serfdoms battling for the right to live. Everything in this view was natural and peaceful, except for one thing: the air smelled of ionization. 1068 ft away directly in front of him was a swirling blue vortex. There was no wind blowing but the grass around the blue paradox was pointing in different erratic directions every split second as if it were in a tornado. The void in time and space made no noise surprisingly, and if it didn’t move the grass on give of a mixed light of blue and white, it you would think it was one of the many unexplained wonders that were natural to these mystical lands.
David linked up with the Abysmal and told AK to run a diagnostics and sensor sweep of the portal and whatever he could find coming from inside it. As AK was doing the task that had been commanded of him, David’s started to go through the mental exercises that he went through every time before he fought, it helped prepare him for the moment he would have to take someone’s life. But slowly and unnoticed by himself, he started to wonder about Ehlena.
Was she alright?
What has happened to her?
He started going through his last moments before being called here. “I was fighting Julius……I couldn’t get an advantage over him” He replayed the battle in his head, His com screaming with reports, Thousands of corpses falling to the earth every second, ships failing and then falling into the atmosphere, Ander sacrificing himself to block a CPC that was meant to destroy the Resolute and kill Ehlena, David watching Martha die in front of him while he screamed her name, using his rage to control and use all of his SHADOW, charging Julius, losing half of his Wanzer, stabbing Julius through the cockpit, the CPC firing while the Vestige and the Abysmal where in its line of fire, blinding light, Ehlena yelling his name…….then……
A metal groan from the portal snapped David out of his collective thought. He brandished his spear and upholstered his pistol aiming at the source of the noise. To the sound was added gunfire, heavy gunfire from cannons or other large weapons, explosions, building collapsing, people screaming, the heavy rat-tat-tat of automatic weapons.
David knew these noises and what they were from; he had been in the middle of them so many times before: It was a battle between multiple Wänzers.
“This can’t be” David muttered in disbelief “
AK sent the reports that he received from his sweeps and said “I would appear that this portal connects to somewhere on earth and during our timeframe. I have reading from multiple IF transponder signals from my inferior brothers……oh…..this is….strange”
“What is it?” David quickly asked
There was a pause “One of these IF codes is my own.” said AK in shock.
Suddenly there was another explosion but this time it was louder and clearer. A scream suddenly filled the air then it was filled with the sound of a man full of rage.
“AHHHH!!!!” screamed the voice from the portal “I won’t let you kill this last one! I served with these men! I led these men! YOU KILLED THEM!”
Metal clings and clangs filled the air followed by multiple explosions.
“If I’m going down, I’m going to make sure none of you can kill again!”
David started running to the portal “This isn’t happening, he’s dead, I saw him die!”
Multiple thumps of a heavy machine that was running came from the portal followed by a deafening groan. The voice spoke for a final time that sounded full of peace; the kind of peace that only a member of humanity can have when they have fulfilled there greatest desire and are filled with the satisfaction of it.
“David, tell Martha I love her”
There was an explosion but this one was not only heard through the portal but it was real as well. Flames sputtered from the anomaly, choking out the life of everything within 500 ft, burning it all within a maw of fire. David ran through the flames to the portal, not caring if he would be burned, for he was running to find what he hoped and dreaded for.
The flames cleared right when he reached the portal, the field around it was gone, the barren earth was scorched black and the air smelt of burnt ozone.
The portal was gone and where it had once been was a body. He was clad in a full dress uniform that was standard for all officers that served in the SOL military, David had himself worn the same uniform (but not nearly all the decorations on this one) not but 2 years ago.
The man was David’s step-brother; Raphael.

Last edited by David Hadron on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Hadron

Back to top Go down

Post by The Highlander on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:54 pm

WrrrrrTHUD! An arrow hit the knot of a tree. It was followed swiftly by another, and then a third almost on the tail of the second. After taking a moment to examine the three missiles, the owner of the arrows set his bow down, walked across the clearing, and carefully plucked them out, returning them to the quiver on his back. "Pull it together, Teine, you can do better than that!" He muttered to himself as he recrossed the clearing, back to the shooting line he had marked, and drew back his bow for another shot.
"Hey, take a break over there!" Vyrlie demanded, but with a friendly tone as she approached.
"Maybe you just need a rest,” she lectured, good-humoredly, but with a note of seriousness, “You've been at it for an hour, like a nervous twitch or something." The woman sat down on the ground and pulled out an apple from her bag, taking a bite as she leaned against a tree. "There's food for you," She added, "eating would be a good idea too."
The man merely grunted in reply, letting loose another arrow, which barely lodged in the side of the tree trunk. Sighing, he set the bow to one side, and rubbed his eyes in frustration. "I used to be a champion archer. Third place in the Itovean Academy's competitions my first year. First place my second year. I could hit the pinion feather off a griffen's wing at three hundred yards."He snorted in disgust, and sat down hard against a nearby tree.
Vyrlie let out a quiet laugh,"Don't be so hard on yourself, old man!" She emphasized her point with a light punch on the arm, "It's not like it's gone forever. Maybe the fact that we're in a different universe could be throwing you off for instance. In case you haven't noticed...everything feels a little different here, I'm not as in tune..." The Lady shook out her arms and breathed deep, letting out her breath in a grunt. "Everything's just slightly off."
"That's no excuse, and you know it. Vicar-Emperor for the Imperial Frontier, I should know how to adapt," he sighed again, almost resignedly, and drew out an apple from the bad.
"Oh, and you're just the expert on adapting to a universal shift, now aren't you?" After finishing off her apple, Lady Vyrlie stood up and did a few light stretches. "While you've been off shooting arrows, I've been trying to get a feel for the force lines here. My Syte's still too sensitive for this place, even after I've adjusted it many times.....magic's everywhere and it's giving me a massive headache."
"You know, I kind of like it,” he remarked, “Tapping into this...this endless sea of magic," He closed his eyes, leaning back with a light smile playing across his face," Makes me feel rather pleasantly lightheaded. A bit like that Zhinra wine we had, after that raid on Atroxeras," He added the last almost as an afterthought.
"Oh yeah.."Vyrlie smiled a silly smile, one not often seen on her careful features, a mark of a life of nobility, "That was good...that was really good. But it still left you off in the morning, and that's the part I don't like..." She focused in on the fire magic around her and skillfully drew it up, weaving it into a fine, spiderweb like pattern held between her two index fingers. A frown crossed her features and she dispelled the magic.
"I find the most interesting thing," Teine said, eyes still closed, as he made a circular motion with one hand, "Is the fact that, as far as I can tell, this vast...sea of magic is completely unaligned, elementally." As he continued to gesture, a tight ball of air magic coalesced, visible because of some dirt picked up. "And it requires but a thought," the ball disappeared, and was immediately a small ball of fire, "to change elementally." He continued the hand motion, randomly switching the magic's elemental orientation for several moments.
Vyrlie frowned. "Easy for you to mess with. I specialized in Fire and Air....I still see the magic alignments in my mind, even though I know they're not there. It's majorly frustrating." She pulled a strand of magic and wrapped it in a tight coil. As she breathed it turned a slight green in her sight as it shifted to earth but it rapidly changed from white to red and back as it fought between aligning with air or fire. "I'm useless here."
"I suppose it does help, working with Crystalline magic for so long. The forming of gems of all kinds of elements does help to broaden one's alignment horizons," he let the ball drop, and wiped a light sheen of sweat off his brow, "Although, it is still somewhat taxing."
With a swiftness denying his obvious years, he leapt to his feet and retrieved his bow, "Just a few more shots," He remarked, notching arrow to bow.
Vyrlie reached out and lightly touched Teine's shoulder. "How about you just let it go for today?" Teine merely grunted in response, and let loose the arrow. She shrugged, turned around and walked toward her tent, "I'm going to take a light nap, wake me if anything....interesting...happens."
This arrow hit nearer the central mark he was aiming for. Vyrlie had disappeared into the tent, so he spent another half-hour practicing, with indifferent results. He was just contemplating whether a touch of air magic wouldn't help things along a bit, with so abundant a supply of magic around when...SPLASH. A drop of rain fell right on his outstretched hand, reaching to retrieve the latest round of arrows. Swiftly gathering them up, he replaced them in his quiver as he quickly moved back to where his bow lay. Years of hard battlefield practice made the unstringing go by in mere seconds, and it was well within it's protective leather carrier in less than two minutes from when the rain had started. From that first drop it was steadily increasing, and threatening to be a downpour.
The sound of raindrops on the canvas of the tent merely lulled Vyrlie deeper into what was supposed to be a light nap. It wasn't until the water soaked through, landing a fat droplet on her cheek that she awoke. Glancing up at the roof of her tent, she sighed. Of course there'd be rain right as she was trying to sleep. Of course. Oh well, she might as well head back to the main camp. When she finally emerged from the tent, her things were already packed up and it only took her a moment to dis-assemble her temporary sleeping quarters and pack it up completely. A waiting Teine drew her attention, and she over to where we was standing. "Shall we head back to the camp then?"
"I think it would be wise to return to the Highlander's temple." With that, they both started threading their way through the woods. After a short while, Teine remarked conversationally, "You know, all the time we've been here, it hasn't shown any signs of rain. I was talking to the Tiefling, and he said that it hasn't rained in all the time he's been here either. I wonder why this sudden downpour?"
"Well, encountered any weather mages?" Vyrlie inquired lengthening her stride as the rain came faster. "Or could the weather be linked to something else? People? Emotions? Is it an omen?" She sighed. "Ordinarily trifle things seem to be so important now. More important now," she added a laugh at the end, attempting to lighten the situation.
"Indeed." They walked on for several minutes more in silence. Lightning flashed, the thunder booming a bare half-second later.
"That lightning was not natural," Vyrlie said, then realizing she had been holding her breath. That was not normal, she was a mage herself, used to dealing with these things. Everything about this place set her on edge. "Weather mage?"
Before Teine could answer, they made it over the next hill, and found themselves looking down on the Temple of Alaunus from behind. In front of the temple were five figures. Two of them were familiar, Kharl and the Highlander. Opposite those two were two large, armored and armed...beings. Neither Teine nor Vyrlie had ever come across the like before, but they were obviously aggressive. Or had been, as they both were both sprawled on the ground, either knocked out or dead. From their positions, however, it could be assumed that they had recently been standing guard on either side of the third figure. He was not physically intimidating, but he emanated an aura of malignant power that they could feel even as far away as they were. Through the thick rain, they couldn't make out his features. All they could see was a dark, cloaked blur.

It's perfectly balanced, perfectly planned. More than enough, for this man. Like every tree
stands on its own, reaching for the sky, I stand alone. I share my world, with no one else.
The Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by The Highlander on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:55 pm

Earlier.

The Highlander sat on the steps of the Temple, conversing with Kharl about the land that he and the others had come from.
"Yes," Kharl was saying, "The magical fields here are truly amazing, more so than I think any of the others realize. If only I had more time to study it.... Where I come from the streams of magic are distinct, each one tied in and restricted to a specific medium, but here they are all intertwined, the very air heavy with it... It almost blinded me with it's power when I first arrived. Magic is so restricted that people, like myself and my friends, have developed a special gift for actually seeing these lines of magic. We call is “Syte”. Fortunately, it can be adjusted, or else we would all be blinded here. But it's as if... As if this is how the magic of my world was meant to be. Not isolated, but unified. Our world's magic is but a pale shadow of this... It makes me even begin to doubt that our gods were the true creators of it."
"I suppose it is possible," The Highlander frowned, "It's not entirely unknown for lesser gods to usurp the positions of their creators, or even for gods to lose status and power because of some action or event, and for some global calamity to ensue because of it. Perhaps that is what happened in your world." Before they could expound on this further, however, they were interrupted by a sudden pulse of intense power. Before the two of them was forming a dark portal and, stepping through, were two heavily armed Krön-gaulite's. Instantly the Highlander had sword in hand, and was just about to charge the pair when a third figure stepped through the portal.
"I'm surprised to find the very seat of your power so lightly guarded," spoke the figure, not giving a chance for anyone else to speak or even move. He was covered in a head to foot black cloak, so that his features were not readily discernible, though it was possible to see while, although not fragile looking, he was not physically imposing. But, despite this, a shadow seemed to hang over him, and he emanated a sense of power and ultimate authority. His voice was like the wailings of thousands of tortured souls and Kharl winced as its force struck him like a a physical blow, even though it was directed primarily at the Highlander. "Your pitiful "resistance" is almost worth ignoring just to watch you struggle,” he laughed lightly, and that laugh was filled with malice, “Your hopes eventually turning to despair would crush what little rebellion that still lurks in the hearts of some of My subjects. But alas, your foolish ally Bernard forced My hand. Striking at too many worlds, where incompetent lieutenants oversee in My absence, giving My subjects ideas that rebellion would be tolerated. I had to destroy over a hundred worlds because of him. So here I must take a personal hand and show My people what happens to those who defy Me!"
At this pronouncement, there was silence. The Highlander almost seemed to be meditating. When he responded, it was in a low, measured tone, careful, but with just as much power behind it.
"If we are so worthless," he replied, slowly. "Then why are you here? If you can destroy a hundred worlds so easily, why not this one?” A light smile played across his features, “I shall tell you: because you can not bear to ignore us! You can not trust anyone below you, because you /know/ that anyone else would be defeated. So you come, personally, in the hopes that your mere presence will intimidate us into finally bowing below your iron hand. But, your presence merely shows us how powerful we are; how much of a thorn we have become in your side. So you come, and bring your own power to bear, because you know nothing less will suffice. But, will even that be enough?" And a golden glow began to slowly coalesce around the Highlander. "Will even your power be enough?"
As if to reinforce the Highlanders words, Azrael shot out of the temple like a vengeful comet, eldritch lightning barely contained arcing around his body, his eyes glowing with an endless pool of power. Kharl too prepared, opening his mind fully to the magic he had been carefully studying these last few days. His body seemed to swell and barely seen runes flickered around him as he ignored his cautions and grabbed every shred of magic he could handle to him and then some, forcing it into well known patterns of strengthening and protection. His very skin seemed to darken and solidify like the living stone beneath them and a corona of frost wreathed his head.
The Evil Overlord growled in rage as Azrael released an enormous surge of raw power at his retainers, barely raising a barrier of maddeningly shifting shadows in time to defend himself from the massive blast. The bolt struck the retainer to his right full in the chest, yet amazingly the wards in the armor held back the brunt of the force. However, the eldritch energy was not so easily defeated; like a living creature it sought of the chinks and openings in the huge set of armor, forcing inside and frying the bestial guard from the inside out. He toppled over, the servos in the powered armor fused by the attack. The other guard fared little better, blinded by Azrael's attack he saw the charging Kharl too late. He moved his massive broadsword to block Kharl's charge but the half ogre let out a wordless bellow and swatted it aside with a mighty blow of his bare fist before impacting the guard. Kharl grappled him tightly, his hands crushing the thick power armor of the Krön-gaulite in a shower of sparks and the squeal of protesting mechanisms deep inside the armor. The guard retaliated with a massive punch into Kharl's unarmored side but his crackling power fist, instead of shredding through flesh and bone like he expected, shattered against Kharl's nearly indestructible form. The feedback from the dying weapon fed back directly up his arm, paralyzing him for a few moments, enough time for Kharl to lift the unresisting form over his head and heave it back down to the ground headfirst. It hit with a sickening crunch and was limp.
With a wordless gesture, a thin sphere of red energy shot from around the Evil Overlord, tossing the two Krön-gaulite's bodies back behind him, and throwing Kharl back onto the temple steps, where he landed with a crunch of breaking stone. Before the wave of dark magic could expand further however, The Highlander brought a hand charged with the pure Lifeforce's energy down, which brought forth an encasing wall of golden light. The Evil Overlord's spell, hitting this wall, reflected back towards its caster. With a sound of disgust, the Evil Overlord dispersed the remains of his spell, and The Highlander cautiously let down the shield, though his whole being still glowed with barely encased power. "Ah, Azrael..." the Evil Overlord began, attempting a conversational tone but unable to suppress entirely the evil of his voice. "My offer is still valid, you know. You would be an invaluable asset in the battle to come."
Azrael looked at the Evil Overlord scornfully, and his eyes flashed brightly. He began to speak and every word was punctuated by a flare of eldritch lightning from his open mouth, "The mere fact that even now you beg for my allegiance tells me you are not as confident in your position as you would have us believe." He snorted a cloud of sparkling lightning. "I've made my part known, and I will deal with Tar'xax after you are dealt with. I think even he will be surprised by the power I've gained here."
The Evil Overlord nodded, apparently not very surprised by the response, "Very well. If you wish to ally yourself with these miserable insects, destined to fail, it is your choice. You shall die, like the rest of this 'resistance', and we both know what that will entail for you. I ask you once more to join me, and I warn you too: This is your last chance to have any existence after your eventual demise."
Azrael didn't even deign to answer. A huge bolt of lightning arced down from the clouds even as a wave of fire burst forth from his outstretched hands, burning white hot as it hungrily engulfed the Evil Overlord just as the bolt of lightning struck with a painful concussive boom.
The smoke and fire disappeared in a brief whirl, leaving the Evil Overlord unscathed. Slowly, he took a step forward, and lifted up his hand as if grasping something. At the same moment, Azrael lifted up off the ground, one clawed hand grasping and clawing at his throat, as if trying to pry something away. "Perhaps I should just kill you now," the Overlord said, thoughtfully. "It would be the prudent thing to do; you will no doubt kill many in the upcoming battle. Not enough, but certainly many. Though, I suppose I can spare them." But even so, his hand closed as if tightening, and Azrael's hand worked even more franticly, attempting to cast a spell, any spell, but nothing working. Suddenly the Evil Overlord raised his other hand, and sent a blast of energy at an enormous boulder that was hurtling towards his head, seemingly from nowhere. As the boulder fragmented beneath the blast, he let Azrael drop, and turned towards the now standing Kharl. "What's this? I'm afraid I'm not yet acquainted with you. Perhaps you would like to join me, in his stead?" he gave an airy wave in Azrael's direction. "Anything you desire, I can make possible, you know. My reach is far, and my power greater than you can imagine."
Kharl marched forward with a resolute look on his face, drawing still further on the magic of the Highlands, more than he ever thought possible. The more he drew the more clearly he focused, which in turn allowed him to draw even more. His body could barely contain the power he was feeding into his protective spells and the energy he focused on strengthening his physical abilities had literally caused him to grow almost three feet in height, his bulging muscles tearing his plain shirt to shreds. The remains of his pants barely preserved his modesty. He drew his massive broadsword from his back harness and the weapon was sheathed in green flame as Kharl fed pure unformed magic into the blade's emerald pommel stone. Had there even been a single flaw in the stone it would have shattered; but it was perfect, and the stone channeled the energy through its carefully crafted enchantments to strengthen the blade and lend the edge impossible sharpness. "I have never met you before, Overlord, but from what little I've heard and from what I've seen of your actions this day, I won't rest happy until I see you dead."
Quickly the Highlander stepped forward, and placing a restraining arm in front of Kharl. Although he was dwarfed by the magically massive figure, the gesture was so authoritative as to stop him in his tracks, "Peace, Kharl. Save yourself for the battle to come. Known thy enemy, then do battle. As it is, you underestimate your enemy greatly." Kharl, rather restless looking, but trusting the Highlander's word, took a ground-shuddering step backwards. Meanwhile, the Highlander turned back towards the Evil Overlord, "Every being here is committed wholeheartedly against you; not a one would sway to your side. Cease these useless and insulting attempts at coercion, and begone from here! Your presence defiles this holy place."
The Evil Overlord glared at the Highlander, and the shadows wreathing his form swirled angrily. But the Highlander stared back resolutely, uncowed by the waves of pure evil and corruption emanating from the Evil Overlord. With a bestial growl, he spun and gestured at the two fallen Krön-gaulites, and tendrils of solidified shadows curled out from his robed arms to snake around and into the crumpled forms. With a shudder, their shattered bodies reformed and their armor was made whole once more. Silently they stood, the snaking shadow probes returning to the Overlord. Turning back to the Highlander he sneered evilly. "We shall see how you fare in a true battle, Highlander," he spat, before making a curt gesture. All three disappeared in identical bursts of shadows, which quickly dissipated, leaving the grounds before the temple empty again save the Highlander and the other two.
The Highlander stared at the empty space before them, searchingly and distantly. A look of pain crossed his features. Before long he raised a hand to Azrael, and said, "Everything must be ready by tomorrow morn, friend. Tell Bernard of what we have seen; I believe the forces he was bringing were on a planet unknown to the Evil Overlord, but we must get them here now. Meet me on the ridgeline, with the other heroes, at the third hour after sunrise tomorrow." Without another word he turned around, and strode quickly into the temple. It was then that Teine and Vyrlie descended the hill, and joined Kharl,as Azrael momentarily disappeared into the temple as well. Moments later, he emerged again, "He is locked inside the inner chamber, and a light blinding as of a hundred stars escapes from the crack beneath the door. I think it is advisable that no one enters the temple until he comes out again."
As Kharl filled Teine and Vyrlie in on the details of the meeting, as near as he understood them anyway, Azrael went to find Bernard, who was supervising some last minute additions to the battlefield fortifications. As he walked, it occurred to him just how easily the Evil Overlord had penetrated all their defenses, even those placed by the Highlander. His face darkened, and by the time he was halfway to the fortifications he had worked himself into a truly foul mood. As he was passing a cluster of trees, a smallish scientist-type human spotted him and started jogging towards him, raising his hand and opening his mouth as if to speak. Azrael glared at him balefully, and as the first word started forming in the man's throat, Azrael lashed out his hand, sending a purple and black bolt lancing at the poor soul. It hit, and with a loud clap like thunder, the man disappeared in a flash of sickly green light, followed by the faint *pop* of air rushing in to fill the space the man had so recently occupied. Feeling much better, Azrael continued on to Bernard with a bounce in his step.

Last edited by The Highlander on Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by The Highlander on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:55 pm

Azrael stood with Bernard and filled him in on the confrontation at the temple as Bernard ordered around the workers scrambling over the fortifications like a swarm of ants. As Azrael continued, Bernard stopped his overseeing and his face darkened at the revelation of the Overlord's own personal power. "And after the Overlord was gone," Azrael was finishing, "The Highlander seemed troubled and locked himself in one of the temple's inner rooms. I don't know exactly what was troubling him, but I fear it bodes great ill that he is not here personally overseeing the final preparations."
Bernard stroked the fur on his chin, then took off his spectacles and began to polish them, "Well, from what I've come to know of the Highlander, he has not had much experience with large-scale battles. It isn't terribly important that he oversees the final preparations; he was really leaving all that to me anyways." He finished polishing, and replaced the spectacles. "Also, if I remember correctly, the Highlander has mentioned before something about once or twice before being 'unleashed' in his full power in times of extreme crisis. Perhaps that has something to do with it."
"So you mean he wasn't even yet at his full power?" asked Azrael incredulously.
Sebastienne chose that moment to approach the pair, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes with one hand and loosely carrying her war-hammer with the other. The tip of its silver handle dragged against the ground and when the small girl noticed she frowned and twirled her hammer up to rest on her shoulder. After a small yawn she languidly asked, "Who're we talking about here?"
Bernard turned to the young girl, "We were discussing the extent of the Highlanders powers. I was explaining to Azrael that he once mentioned something about being 'unchained' though, I confess, I don't know much more than that about the subject."
Sebastienne's brow wrinkled in thought, "I remember him talking to me about it before. He says it's only happened twice in dire circumstances. But why's it a topic of talk now?"
This time, it was Azrael who replied, "We were just visited by the Evil Overlord."
"Come again?,” the young girl asked incredulously, “You mean the Evil Overlord was here? In the Highlands!?" Sebastienne's face was a complete mix of emotions, her free hand on her forehead as she tried to figure out what it really meant. A sigh escaped her. "You've got to be kidding me.....I missed that!? What was I doing that I missed that?"
The group cast her a quizzical look as if to say, 'Really?' and Sebastienne sighed again, but this time with a slight smile, "Curse my need as a mortal to sleep!"
"He tried once more to sway me, and then the half-ogre, to his side, as well as delivering an ultimatum to the Highlander. After he departed, the Highlander locked himself in the innermost chamber of the Temple, looking worried and pained. He gave orders that we meet him on the ridgeline tomorrow morning. Myself and Bernard were just discussing the possible causes of this."
Then, Bernard took over, "What all do you know about this 'unchaining?"
"He told me it's when the gods lend him their powers totally. I mean, I don't know the details. It seemed like an uncomfortable topic for him, so I let it drop. I didn't figure....."Sebastienne looked away,"So is that what you all think he's doing right now? Requesting the powers of the gods for tomorrow?"
"I highly doubt he's requesting," Bernard said quietly.
Azrael looked out rather distantly, speaking his thoughts aloud, "I agree. From his demeanor and the information you provide, maybe he's doing the opposite."
Bernard nodded at this, "Perhaps it would be wise to have someone waiting at the temple, to be sure and be there when he emerges. He could be in need of assistance."
"I'll do it," Sebastienne offered, "I mean, I'm all rested up and I've been there before after he's come out of that place. I know how to expect the worst."
Azrael looked at her rather oddly, "Indeed. Well, I suppose now that that's settled, I should go and inform the others of the day's events." He turned to momentarily address Bernard, "I think it wise that everyone steer clear of the temple until whatever the Highlander is doing in there is done. If you see any of the others..."
"Of course."

The Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by The Highlander on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:57 pm

As everyone filtered back to their various resting places, Sebastienne made her way into the temple, taking a seat in front of the statue to her sun god. She'd be lying if she said that she was at ease, because to be completely honest, she was a bit frightened, not only for right now and what might happen with the Highlander, but also with what might happen in the future; the inevitable war. As she mulled over these thoughts in her mind, casually fiddled with the first thing she found in her pack, a little wind up wood chopping toy that really chopped small twigs. Quite a while later, the toy had been taken apart and put back together numerous times, made into several different versions, and even combined with other little projects in her pack. A ray of light dancing across the metal brought her out of her trance, as she looked out upon the rising sun. A glance back toward the door to the room where the Highlander was brought her a sight that had been the same for the past hours. With a sigh she stood and stretched. It was finally morning, and the others were slowly trickling back to the meeting place. She gathered her things and stepped out of the temple. It was safe for her to leave the Highlander now and take the first step toward the future.
Moments later, the door opened slowly, and the Highlander exited, looking aged a hundred years. He crossed the temple floor slowly, and glanced at the central sundial: half an hour until the time he had appointed to meet with the heroes; exactly how long he needed to make it to the ridgeline. Wearily, he began the relatively short journey while images of the longer journey, the true journey, as it had been revealed to him, flashed through his vision.

The Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by The Highlander on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:08 am

[The Battle that will be the Finale to ESSSSOC is currently being worked on. We all know this has to be epic, and we all want it to be as epic as possible. So, in that respect, this may take a little longer than previous posts. To that effect, our writing plan is this:
We'll write an overview of the battle, from Bernard's perspective, and intersperse that with various "zoom ins" for particular characters and events. After the initial draft is written, it'll be passed from person to person to be edited and added onto. As soon as everyone agrees nothing more can be added, then it will be posted in full.]

The Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top